How much time off do you get...vacation?

Again another question that depends on the airline you work for. But I would like to know how much time some of you have off throughout the year and how much vacation time you get? Also do you get sick days, floating holidays or anything like that?

Dustin,

Most airlines start you off with 1 or 2 weeks and after X number of years you build up more time until it maxes out at 6-8. At the airlines you don’t have sick days but sick hours, which you build every month you work (usually 6-10hrs per month) since if you miss a trip due to illness, trip length is based on hours not days. Unfortunately there are no holidays for pilots.

Adam

1 Like

Dustin,

At United we get three weeks of vacation until you have completed your tenth year, then we get five weeks of vacation. Essentially we get twelve sick days per year, but they roll over if not used. I generally have about 15 days off per month, so when you combine that with all the vacation time there is a large amount if time off.

Chris

1 Like

@Chris So when you have those 15 days off, could you be called for flight if a pilot is sick?

Angel,

Your days off are your days off. If a pilot calls in sick that’s what “reserve” pilots are for. However, there are times when the airline finds itself short on pilots and will call pilots on their days off to “volunteer” to work (your choice if you answer the phone). In most cases that will earn you “premium”, “red flag” or “recall” pay which is usually double or triple time.

Adam

4 Likes

Great info to know!! Thank you!!

When u start at the regionals how many days off do u get a week and in total for the whole month. Same with the majors how many days off a week and month at the start??

Alex,

Pilots at both majors and regionals typically get twelve days off per month when they are new to the airline and until they build some seniority. There is not set amount of days off per week, but it usually varies from two to three days off weekly.

Chris

Hi Alex,

I’m not a mentor but to add to Chris’ reply you can view each airline’s days off and pay at APC. You can also view pay rates and many other things for each individual airline. I find it very useful when wanting to look at specific things about a specific airline.

http://www.airlinepilotcentral.com/airlines

Jason

thank you jason and chris

say you wanted to get paid for a vacation with your family. is it possible to schedule a flight with a 3+ day layover? have you known any pilots to do this?

Bob,

There are some, but not many, layovers of that length, but only at the majors and only with international flying. I did take my wife on a few different trips, but it was usually for a day or so. I find that bringing people along can be stressful and it is usually better to keep work and family life separate.

Chris

At Horizon the longest layover we have is 24 hours. Sometimes a crew member’s spouse or significant other will tag along for the trip or meet up with each other through some other means. I wouldn’t call that a vacation, but it sort of goes along the lines of what you’re asking.

Tory

Bob,

At Hawaiian we have many 3,4 and 5 day international trips on the A330. As Chris said we’re a Major so you’re talking down further down the line. The other aspect (again as Chris said), while it’s great to take family (and I have), it can be stressful. About 6 mos ago I brought my son to NRT. The loads looked fine when we left but turned sour for the return. Fortunately it worked out and he literally got the last seat but if he hadn’t he would have been stuck in Japan alone.

Adam

1 Like

Bringing people on trips has worked out well for me, except the time that it didn’t and I ended up buying my wife a $1,500 ticket from ARN to IAD on British Airways.

1 Like

Hi Adam,

If you don’t mind, may I ask how many vacation leave days you get at Hawaiian specifically? How many you start with, when it increases and by how many days, and how many days/weeks it maxes out at and at what point in your career?

Isa,

Straight from the contract:
After 1 year 15 days
After 3 years 16 days
After 5 years 21 days
After 10 years 23 days
After 12 years 27 days
After 15 years 29 days
After 19 years 33 days
After 25 years 38 days

Adam

Adam,

In a previous post you said “It depends on the airline but most pilots start with a week or 2 the first few years and it increases over time maxing out to 6-8 weeks.” Now what I want to know is can you use that time all at once or does it have to be spread out? Also, how long does it take to reach that maximum?

Porter,

Again airline contracts and work rules vary. Some airlines have a min amount of days you can take at a time (5-7) others don’t. Mine (Hawaiian) allows you break vacation up however you like so some will take weekends off for a month for example.

As with pay most vacation max out after 12yrs but again it can vary.

Adam

Damn, justin, wassup, how you been. How is Utah?