How quick can I get to Delta?

I’m going to warn you all this is a rant. I just read this story and a few things happened. Emotionally I was saddened, sickened and angry, but more so I heard echos of far too many of you who post here. While I understand most people who start flight training don’t do it to become instructors, and that instructing is the means to an end, it is a HUGE responsibility and it’s also a terrific way to build experience. What it’s not it’s a box to check, a game or something to take casually. I know my plea will do no good, but if you’re heart isn’t in this, you’re stupid enough to think posting is appropriate while flying or you simply don’t care about the person sitting next to you who’s trusted you with their life, do us all a favor and become an influencer, an entrepreneur etc etc etc. ANYTHING but a pilot.

*on a side note I respectfully disagree with the statement this has anything to do with “accelerated programs”. This is about maturity, responsibility and professionalism, or lack there of.

Adam

8 Likes

Not to pile on here but I think this rises well above the level of dangerous indifference. Based on presented timelines and the indicated storm track from the Image, they flew right into the heart of a severe storm with ample warning. Yes, we are in a period of unprecedented long term demand for pilots and yes, the pressure to reach the magic 1500 is real for many. But we as instructor’s hold the lives of our students in our hands and our job is to do everything we can to mitigate the risk to an acceptable level while teaching both skills and passing on experience and wisdom. Newer instructors lack experience and wisdom to fall back on and so must error on the side of caution until we gain both. Please fellow instructors, take this time to learn as much or more from instructing as your students hopefully learn from you. Safe skies all - Ed

3 Likes

Adam,

Really sad. After seeing the pictures and the videos that were posted, I think this might be the most disappointing/frustrating accident I have seen since I began flying. The disrespect and hazardous attitudes shown have no place in our community, and it’s a real shame that it took a fatal accident for these to become apparent. The responsibility on us as instructors is to provide a safe enjoyable environment for students, and unfortunately, neither occurred on that night. This incident should be shared with potential CFI candidates as a lesson on what not to do.

Roscoe

4 Likes

This angers me. People take this job casually and then others wind up dead. That CFI had a responsibility to his student to make sure they got home safely, not to post videos.

6 Likes

I was debating posting about this crash after it happened and I saw the Snaps the CFI posted.
It made me mad, frustrated and sad all at the same time.
Now it’s been a few weeks and the initial NTSB report has come out so figured I’d bring a few things up.
Linked below is the article related to the crash that describes the incident and a YT video discussing delays in Radar displays on ForeFlight and things like Garmin displays.

Pilot Professionalism:

• We are professionals. Every time you get in a GA airplane your risk of injury or death is that of a Motorcycle. Myself included, I know over a dozen people who’ve crashed, and even died riding. In 7 years flying, I know about the same amount related to flying. Lives are in your hands, take it seriously, and teach your students to do the same.
  • Don’t make fun of people. That’s not constructive criticism. I know it can be hard sometimes, but really try to blow off steam away from students and focus on good teaching methods when with them.
  • Act like you’re “in a fish bowl”. Cameras are everywhere and the internet never forgets. Aviation is a small community. If recruiters saw something similar to these snaps on your social media, I wouldn’t bet on a phone call from them.
  • Multiple pilots have been warned and even terminated / violated for photos/videos taken in the Flight Deck or on duty (a few pilots even crashed with PED being a contributing factor in NTSB reports). So think before you use your PED or post something.
  • You’re students might try to kill you. Always be cautious with what you trust a student with. Follow your own Personal Minimums and make your student follow theirs (and the schools). If you don’t trust your student, you better CYA.
  • You’re human too. Recognize Hazardous Attitudes and maybe say them out loud to really think “do I NEED to fly now” (btw, the answer is always NO), so take a breath, then decide.
  • Know your equipment. The YT link is to a great video regarding the delay Radar overlays like on ForeFlight or Garmin can have. The storm is very likely closer and could be worse than it displays!

Overall, just try to be a good person, a good teacher, and be safe at all times.

Sorry for the rant. Wish y’all safe flights and always try keep flying fun (I do by doing a barrel roll in airline CQ!!!:rofl::sunglasses:).

Chris F

https://www.flyingmag.com/ntsb-preliminary-report-on-kentucky-fatal-crash-released/?mibextid=Zxz2cZ&fbclid=IwAR0bA4ap2QS2Dr6QsB7c4jue08dg0POABcKyQ_Vz9ThQjvrNrMeXrlUZw2c_aem_Af-7TC4xVz8DmW5jYMg32opR4GHgbvT5arNzww6A_2aMVgqIad4sZox4dTaOWl7IkFo

6 Likes

As a ATP CFI, this really frustrates me and saddens me to see 2 lives lost. You hear about how many things lead up to an accident and this seems to have been what happened. I take each of my flights incredibly seriously. I tell each of my students that their phones must be in airplane mode (it’s even on the checklist!). I can’t tell you how many flights I cancelled this past summer because of thunderstorms and the fear of experiencing something like this. As instructors we need to always air on the side of caution. No flight is worth doing with that type of weather and we should never be on our phones. It should be obvious.

Jon,

Very wise words. Keep that attitude into the rest of your career.

Chris

1 Like