HS Senior - Cannot decide what the best route is

Hi, my name is Ryder and I am a high school senior. I will be 18 in June, and am in a tough spot in deciding what to do. I have applied to and been admitted to multiple universities for Aviation/Pro Flight/Flight Science (whatever the universities wording for the degree is). I have yet to commit anywhere due to the worries of money.

I live in Ohio and am trying to decide between Ohio University, Arizona State, and Auburn. Even with in-state tuition, I would need over $125k in loans to major in Aviation - Flight at Ohio University. ASU is pushing $160k and Auburn close to $200k. I know that pilots make a very sustainable amount of money but I still worry about acquiring a loan that big, knowing that with interest it will be even more by the time I am able to pay it off. Due to this, I have began to consider other options.

I have seen/heard many recommendations to acquire a degree in something else, and then work on flying after college. My main issue is that due to my love of aviation, it is all that I have a true interest in studying. I have thought about attending a university for Aviation Management and then flying with ATP afterwards, as that would leave me with a backup to work somewhere else in the industry should I lose a medical. I am just as hesitant about this though, as I would have just finished college - and $50k+ in loans - only to head to ATP and need to get another $80k+ loan.

I am also considering heading straight to ATP once I turn 18 and flying there as a CFI (after I get my licenses) until I am old enough to be hired. I know that no US Airline requires a bachelors degree anymore, yet I still feel like I am going to be at a significant disadvantage in any hiring process if I don’t go the college route and just go to ATP. I worry that sometime in the future, that requirement may return and my job could be threatened by someone with the same resume as me + a college degree.

I have a friend that knows someone in his Aviation Management program who cannot afford Flight Science, and is working on the side to fly when he can. I have considered this as well, but am afraid I will not be able to make enough to afford it, and will be too caught up in my career post graduation to have time to get the rest of my licenses.

I have been told to consider the National Guard or ROTC as well, but I really do not want to have to join either. I do not think I have the right character for it, and my mom does not want me to take the risk given the international situations right now (neither do I quite frankly).

The only other option I have thought of is going to a Community College for 2, or maybe 4 years, to get a degree. I also would acquire my PPL at my local airport with this plan, so that when I applied to ATP I could do the program that accepts PPL transfers. My hope with this option is that I could have community college payed off by the time I applied to ATP and would only have that loan to worry about.

I have applied for many scholarships already (aviation related or not) and have many more in line to apply for. I have received quality merit scholarship offers from every school I was accepted into, but it is still far from enough to fathom affording college + flight fees. My parents are divorced and neither have much leftover money to throw towards college, though my mom wants to help me with loans as much as she can.

So, I guess my question is, what is the best option for me? Are there any pathways/options I am not thinking of? Am I going to be at that much of a disadvantage without a college degree? My other issue is that college commitment deadlines are May 1, so I have to be decided by then.

This website/forum is a very helpful place, and thank you to anyone who takes the time to read this and send a response. I apologize for these lengthy questions!

Ryder,

Ultimately all these decisions come down to what you want to do. At my location there are plenty of people who went straight to slight school without college. There are also people here with Masters degrees. There are so many variables in each scenario I think you’ll have to spend some concentrated time deciding for yourself.

That being said, if I was in your position, I would either do an online college like Liberty for cheap or I would go to community college. If you choose community college, you could always go back to school online once at a regional. This would not likely hurt your resume in the slightest. Personally, I would try and work 20-30 hours a week while in college online to try and pay down as much of ATP’s sticker price beforehand.

To keep up your motivation during this waiting process, I’d go through King Ground schools for Private and Instrument and then take the corresponding tests to get my ground understanding to as high a level as possible.

-Jack

I had not even thought about an online degree. I am thinking maybe I could get an associates degree in Aviation Management online, then go to ATP, then complete my Associates into a Bachelors once I reach the regionals. This is a great idea. Thank you!

1 Like

Ryder,

Welcome to the forum. I will say, you have done your research. None of us here on the forum here fans of aviation degrees. They are very expensive and do not give you any fallback plan. Now we are all partial to ATP as we are all graduates from there, but we are fans because we got exactly what we were told from the training and have since done well.

I would recommend two years of community college, then go to ATP and then finishing your bachelor’s degree while you are flying for the regionals. This is the most economical and the most efficient path to the airlines. Many colleges will give you credits for your flight training, so that really helps with the degree.

While some majors have in theory dropped their degree requirements, the actuality is that they all still prefer one and yes, you will be at a disadvantage if you do not have one.

Chris