ATP commuting

Hello.
I am considering applying for an ATP school in my city. I am just finishing college for my bachelor’s degree and prepared for the intense program they mentioned.
I was just wondering what the classes were like day to day?
Is it necessary to live close to the school or in student housing? I know its convenient but more expensive than living somewhere cheaper. Right now, I live about 30 minutes away from the school. Would that be okay?

1 Like

David,

As I often say this is America and you can do whatever you like. Seriously 30min isn’t a bad drive and I see know reason why you couldn’t continue to stay there. The only caveat is I don’t know your current living situation (home with family? significant other? roommates? etc) and how much of a distraction they might be. When I did my training the closest location was a few hundred miles away. While I didn’t like leaving home, in hindsight I realize training would have been a nightmare with the wife and kids around. What I’m saying is if you’re not alone the people you’re living with need to understand that this will be your ONLY focus for 9mos and they need to respect the investment and commitment you’re making both time and money wise.

Adam

1 Like

Thanks! I appreciate it. Currently living at home, but thinking about moving in with some friends that is central between the flight school and my home and church. But you’re right in that I need to focus on this completely for 9 months.

David,

I would continue to live with your parents during training. I am guessing that it is free for you, probably rather quiet, and won’t have the drama that living with friends will. If you are going to attend ATP, studying needs to be your number one priority.

Chris

I drive an hour and 40 minutes each way and I have been doing fine. Its a pain, but to me its worth it and I just accepted it as what I needed to do.

David

David,

That is some serious mileage. You are going to need a new car after this :slight_smile:

Chris

Actually, I need a new car NOW. It has 270,000 miles on it. Very tired car, but holding up alright. At least itll have a vacation for the next 2 or 3 weeks. I leave for crew today

I commute anywhere from 1 hour (on a good day early in the morning with no traffic) to 1.75 hours (rush hour) one way. Personally it doesn’t bother me, I just make sure to maximize my commute times and study time at ATP. I will sometimes stay longer or go in early to avoid traffic and study. I have been in the program since mid March and I am finishing my ME Comm Wednesday.