I need help with this Situation please read. Misdemeanor, will i get hired at American Airlines or Delta?

So currently I’m 17 years of age right now. Two years ago I was pulled in the state of Philidelphia and I was caught with 3 grams of weed and was charged with a misdemeanor. It was my first time and a stupid mistake. I moved to Florida to start my aviation career and that’s what I’m doing right now and I will be joining ATP flight school next month. So right now I just got my student pilot certificate and I’m working so hard to make this dream come true for me. I have Nothing else on my record at all and I just want to know if this little mistake is going to disable me from becoming an Airline Captin for Delta for American Airlines.

Kevin,

First off all if you’re 17 and only have your Student Pilot Cert I don’t see how you’ll be starting ATP next month? ATP requires either your PPL, a 2yr degree or equivalent work experience. You will also need to obtain your First Class Medical prior to enrollment. That means will have to answer YES to question 18 where they ask have you ever been arrested for an alcohol or drug related offense and provide the details to the FAA before they issue it. That can take some time so make sure you allow for it.

Regardless on to your question. You can’t get to a Regional until you’re at least 21 and will need to spend a few years there. That will give you a few years to demonstrate that this was in fact a one time “stupid mistake” or not. Provided you keep your record clean moving forward and have no other issues like checkride busts you should be fine.

Btw, both American and Delta both desire 4yr degrees so you want to think about doing that as well.

Adam

im going to ATP flight school https://atpflightschool.com/ Where im going to get all my ratings. Im Enrolled next month to get my commercial, instrument, Multi, And Cfi. I’m Nervous because ill be in dept 60,000 and i would just like to know if this situation here will prohibit me from being accepted by any major airlines. I have work experience, i dont have a 2yr dagree but i do have a first class medical.

Kevin,

I answered your question.

Btw the cost is $81,000 and I hope you let the FAA know about your arrest. If not they will find out and then you will most definitely have a problem getting hired by a Major.

Adam

Hey Adam, I really appreciate your help and I’m more than thankful for your response. My dad works for American Airlines and wishes for me to proceed in his footsteps for as myself I have a great passion for flying and would hate to disappoint my father with this misdemeanor for he does not know. Again, thank you for your help.

Kevin,

I have news for you, your father is going to find out. When you apply to AA you will have to reveal the conviction and he will probably find out then. If it isn’t that way, it will just be another way. The truth always comes to the surface.

I am a father of three children. While I would be very disappointed if one of my children got a drug conviction, I would never stop loving them and would not stop trying to help them be successful in life.

Part of making mistakes is owning up to them. I suggest that you tell your father and seek his guidance. You might be surprised at the response you receive.

Chris

Thank you for the guidance, your help and advice is much appreciated. The drug conviction was an event in my life witch i wish didn’t happen, but from now on ill make sure nothing else happens for all i am doing is flying and studying.

Yes, but it did happen and you will need to deal with it. I would really suggest talking to your father about it.