Eligibility with a felony

Hello everyone my name is Dana. I want to enrolle with ATP to become a commercial pilot. Im currently 33 and when i was 18 i received a felony possession of cannabis. I now live a professional and family oriented lifestyle and have not smoked in over a decade nor do i drink.
Im seeking any experience from seasoned pilots about how this will effect me and to help guide me in the correct direction.

Dana,

The general rule of thumb is if it’s been 10yrs or more since your conviction you should be fine (obviously the caveat is that’s subject to your individual circumstances and the nature of your crime).

Your first step will be getting your First Class Medical. The FAA isn’t fond of drugs or alcohol and will make you go through a few hoops before they give their blessing. Before you get too far into the process Id consult with an AME (Aviation Medical Examiner) in your area.

Adam

This is positive information and gives me some hope. I really aspire to become airline pilot, but not understanding the obstacles has made me unsure and worrisome about what steps to take first.

Dana,

I’d consult with an AME first and then reach out to recruiters at a few regional airlines. If you get positive reactions from both of those parties, I’d say it’s safe to begin pursuing flight training.

Hannah

Dana,

I might disagree with Adam here. A misdemeanor is one thing, a felony is quite another. I would strongly encourage you to speak to an AME and call several airlines directly and ask to speak to their recruiting departments.

Chris

Dana,

I recommend reaching out to a First Class AME and consult to see what they would have to say.

Furthermore, reach out to recruitment teams and see what they would have to say.

Brady