Intro Flight at ATP or Local School

Hello there,

As you may know, I’m currently about to finish my junior year in high school. My plans are to first go to a 4-year college to get my bachelor’s and then start flight training. Though, I am considering that this summer I should go on a discovery flight. My question is that do you suggest I should do it this summer? If so, should I do it at ATP or at a local school?

Thanks,

Hassan

Hassan,

I HIGHLY recommend you do your Discovery Flight as soon as you can. Why? Because until you do all you planning is really pretty pointless. Many people believe they want to be pilots but the fact is not everyone can or should be. While chances are you’ll enjoy the experience there’s also a chance you won’t. By taking the flight now you’ll get some idea of what’s ahead of you and if it’s really something you want to pursue. If you wait, all the while keeping this plan in your head, then in 5yrs take the flight and discover it’s really not for you then what?

Further, as an ATP mentor, I say take the flight somewhere that’s convenient. If there’s an ATP nearby great. ATPs intro is a little more involved than most and will also give you the opportunity to speak with students in the program and check out the fleet. But is there isn’t your local flight school is fine. It’s really about the experience and that again is something you shouldn’t put off.

Adam

1 Like

Thank you for the reply Adam! Yeah that is a great reason on why I should do soon. Also, I reside in San Diego, CA and I’m lucky enough to live in a city with two ATP Flight Schools and many other flight schools including Coast Flight. Once again thanks for the reply!

As I mentioned at the beginning, I’m currently in high school and my goal is to first complete a bachelor’s at a 4-year college and then start flight training. According to Adam, he suggested that for the intro flight I should do it as soon as I can in which the best case for me is this summer. I don’t want to start after college only to realize that “Shoot, this isn’t exactly working out as I thought it would.” It would be better if I realize that now than later.

Hassan,
Absolutely, you’ve got the right plan. Like he said, better to find out now if you hate flying in small airplanes than later once you’ve planned on that career for four years in school. If you love it, then great you’ve got the plan set. Do great in college and finish that degree then jump in to flight training full time. :+1:t3:

-Hannah

1 Like

Hassan,

I would absolutely recommend that you taker a discovery flight. To begin with, there is no reason not to. Hopefully this will not be the case, but you might find out that you do not like flying. Or, and more likely, you might love it and it will really cement your decision to pursue flight training when you are older. Either way, the sooner you can get up in the air the better. Do remember though that an intro flight is just that, do not have any false pressures on yourself to perform to a certain standard. Just enjoy the experience and see if this is really for you.

Chris

1 Like

Got it Chris! If I am able to renew my passport this summer, then hopefully I’ll try to find a good time to go out for a discovery flight. Thanks for the reply!

Thanks for the reply! It does make sense so once I renew my passport this summer I’ll try to find a date to go on one.

Hassan,

Anytime. Let us know if there is any way else we can help you.

Chris

1 Like