Starting ATP for Young Student

Hello, my name is Brady and I am going to be starting my full ATP schooling from 0 hours, even though I’ve got a few hours under my belt in a C172, on September 19th. I’m starting out of high school and I feel confident for my knowledge in aviation as I have practiced it for sometime and always had an interested in it. I have seen from other threads that it is not recommended to go into ATP out of high school, but as I said, I feel confident in my ability to do such a thing as this flight school. As for my question as I turn on my final for my start date is there anything else anyone would recommend in my case? Or just any general overall advice? Thank you!

Jack,

As you point out we don’t recommend ATP right out of HS. The fact you’re “confident in your abilities” really speaks as to the main reason why. The program is highly accelerated and many people with school, life and work experience far beyond HS find it challenging. Long/short you really have no idea what you’re about to face. Further without a degree you may find your career veto limited.

That all said its your life and your decision. If you visit the ATP website and browse this forum you would know we strongly recommend completing as many of the FAA Written exams as possible to help lighten the work load (the fact that you haven’t before this point is also concerning). Unfortunately, with only 2 weeks before you start that’s not going to happen.

Maybe others will have some words of wisdom for you. I’ve got nothing.

Adam

Adam,

I appreciate the input that you pilots all give. Looking throughout all of the threads and answers you guys give are helpful, to the real answer not as a “fake” response to our questions.

In regards to what you’ve answered through your brief explanation. I do understand that the program is very accelerated and doesn’t take anything less than perfection. What would it look like for someone that is in my case to get through the 7 month program and take online college classes before I reach the age of 21 for the regionals? I already have taken college credits throughout some of my high school, so I do have something to my name at the least. Also, with the point you made about the written test I have looked into the PAR exam, as recommended by a current ATP student that I have been talking to. You are right about being concerned that I haven’t been working on my written test, and that is a concern to me as well not having those done before the start. I’m trying to learn as much as possible before in preparation; looking through the FAR/AIM book, looking through training supplements, books received in the ATP package.

Thanks for the input Adam. I need the real realism behind all of this to be prepared for the near future I have set for myself through ATP.

Jack

Jack,

Honestly I do think you do understand and it has nothing to do with perfection. He has to do with working harder than you ever have and pushing forward even when you’re feeling overwhelmed.

You will most definitely not have time for online school during your training (and the fact you’re thinking about it with 2 weeks of your start again demonstrates you don’t really get it). Attempting to do so is setting yourself up for failure. After you’re done with your training you’ll need to build the required hours and most do that by flight instructing which again is a full time vocation.

Your best bet is going to school after you’re hired at a Regional where you’ll have more time to do so.

Adam

Adam,

Yes I definitely underestimated the first part of this schooling, as it is indefinitely one of the most if not the most important aspect of the school. In this underestimating of information and preparation, this is understandable as setting myself up for failure. The hardest of work is needed to be put into this program throughout the entirety of it. I am whatsoever not expecting things to ever get easy, but harder. Im sure there are some points of relaxation much later down the road, but for now the hard work just begins. The expectation of everybody; flight instructors, examiners, employers are all expectations I strive to give forward and shoot to exceed.

As for schooling, that does help plan out for what is to come of a degree to pursue and online degree whilst in the regionals.

As for another question. What is the CFI Academy illustrate as far as flight hours and living expenses? I have some information from my introduction flight instructor as to how scheduling goes and how busy and time consuming, as you said “a full time vocation”.

Thanks,
Jack

Jack,

I am not sure if I understand your last question about CFI school, but I will try.

ATP provides housing. You will be on your own for the rest of your living expenses just as you would be for the rest of the program.

Tory

Tory,

My question about the CFI program after receiving my graduation from ATP is, what are the schedules consisting of for the instructors throughout a day or even a week of time? This all goes into reimbursement of the program and the 1500 flight hours needed for the regionals. I understand you have to be accepted by ATP themselves to get into the program as I read in the student and instructor handbook.

Jack

Jack,

After graduating from the ATP program with all your ratings you will find out if you’re invited back to instruct. If so, you will be given a week of Indoc and the choice of all available locations.

Once you’ve completed your Indoc training and started at your new location, your schedule varies. You may start with one student in the private phase and have a rather flexible schedule. Two months later you could be balancing two instrument students and your private student in checkride prep and spending 10 hours a day at the training center keeping all your students on time.

Hannah

Jack,

I sounds, to me, like you may be blurring the line between flight instructing and tuition reimbursement.

As a CFI, you will be in charge of your schedule based on your students’ syllabus’. When I was teaching I spent all day at the training center just to get the job done. It was not uncommon to work over 12 hours a day.

You are correct, you will be building your time towards your 1500 hours as an instructor and getting paid to teach. However, Tuition Reimbursement is its own separate thing that a flight instructor interviews for if they choose to participate.

ATP’s website lists which airlines offer Tuition Reimbursement and what each offer entails. Once an instructor has decided which airline that they are most interested in working for, they can interview, typically as soon as 500 hours, for the airline of their choice. If successful, the airline will extend a conditional job offer and an invitation to participate in that airline’s tuition reimbursement program.

Tory