Introduction/Goals

Alonso,

I did King for my PPL through my Cessna Training Center and while yes they have been around for a long time and a lot of people love them I think they are very outdated, bland and monotonous. I started my PPL on NYE 2001 flying once a month and had to stop in 2002 as I was just a kid. The King School version now is the same as the CDs back in 2001 so that’s my experience with it.

Study buddy is free but I believe the courses are like $5-$10. In the grand scale that’s nothing for having every resource at your disposal for a $75,000 course IMHO.

Also if you’re falling behind or not getting something or whatever as John and I talked about above Jason Shappert has an online ground school over at MZeroA. You can watch his videos on YouTube for free or at his site It’s $99 a month for all courses and you can do the whole series, jump back and forth, jump to just what you want to focus on more and he updates his video lessons as things change (FARs, DPE focus points, and just to update if he feels the lesson is dated) he also has a cheaper $15 a month which is no lessons but it has mock checkrides, and other stuff.

Sorry if I’m throwing a lot at you I just like making sure others are as prepared and aware as possible as well as letting people know what I wish I was told from the beginning.

Tom,

The Kings are “outdated, bland and monotonous”? We might have to discuss your future in the aviation industry, thou shalt never speak poorly of the Kings :wink:

4 Likes

Alonso,

If you’re going to start your training in July I would start completing your ALL the FAA Written Exams. You mention you’re enrolled in Sporty’s Study Buddy but don’t mention your intentions for taking some or more of the writtens? https://atpflightschool.com/faqs/acpp-prep-written-knowledge-tests.html

ATPs accelerated program many find very intense and sometimes overwhelming. By completing the tests prior you’re eliminating a fair amount of study and lightening the workload considerably. While I understand the benefits of long and short term goals, again you’d be far better served getting the knowledge tests out of the way NOW versus pondering what a Major may or may not desire 7+ years from now.

Adam

:joy::rofl::joy:

I knew I was gonna catch something with that thrown towards John and Martha. I atleast get to back it up with I started their course on CDs. Some of these kids starting soon may not even know what a CD is! :joy:

Ha, I watched mine on VCR tapes! At least it wasn’t Betamax.

1 Like

Adam,

Appreciate your advise, it was my full intent to complete the written tests in preparation for the class start. It is my understanding that I will not have access to King’s course until my official enrollment occurs in a couple of weeks, and I will need endorsement from King’s program before being able to take any test (correct me if this wrong). So in the meantime, I plan to try out Study’s Buddy program and get my subscription to Sheppard Air to assist with the written. There is no doubt that my time management skills will be put into action with ATP.

Alonso

Alonso,

Once you complete the course and take practice tests you will contact ATP Training and they will review and issue you a endorsement to test.

1 Like

Chris,

You win! I can’t even try and compete on VHS; I think the only thing that beats that is being John and Martha’s first students lol

Tom,

In the contrary, I really appreciate you dumping all this knowledge on me :nerd_face:. This is exactly why I joined this forum to learn from people like you and the mentors so I can be as prepared as I can. I am bookmarking all of these different sources so I can review as I go. Typically, I find I can learn more from a combination of reading, interactive courses, videos, and practice tests, so very likely I will use every single one of these that you mentioned to make the most of my training.

Many thanks!
Alonso