Ipad for ATP

I have a 12.9 inch ipad pro with wifi; am I able to get an external gps for use in the cockpit that attaches to the ipad? or should I invest in a smaller ipad for use when flying?

1 Like

Check ForeFlight’s guide here:
https://foreflight.com/support/buying-guide/

You can get an external GPS like a Scout or better (I.e. Stratus ADS-B receiver)

I would personally invest in a smaller iPad. It might be more money you have to spend, but it will be worth it in the cockpit.

Tyler,

That is really a question for the Apple experts. But, I personally think that is too big of an iPad and that the extra cables will get in the way. I would buy exactly what ATP recommends, which is the 9.7" iPad. They have been doing this for a long time and know what works best in their airplanes.

Chris

1 Like

Okay, thanks. I just wanted to make sure before I spent another couple hundred on an ipad

Always worth checking :slight_smile:

Not sure if worth mentioning, but I have the ipd air 2 and find it a bit big sometimes.
If you are flying in any of the g1000 gps quipped aircraft, you can sync your ipad via bluetooth and have all the ads b functionallity already installed in the airplane into your ipad. Warning: it does drain your batery faster.

Hope this helps

Enrico

3 Likes

I had the iPad mini and it’s the perfect size honestly.

Related question: is there a specific brand of iPad kneeboard/mount that tends to work better than others?

Hello Paul,

I had an iPad Mini when I went through. You can choose whichever model you
like best, but don’t go too big. The iPad will either be on a kneeboard or
on a mount. An oversized iPad will obstruct you from performing the
required tasks.

If I were to do it all over again I would have purchased the 9.7” iPad. If
you’re planning on attending ATP, make sure that your iPad meets their
requirements: iOS 9.2 or later with WiFi + Cellular.

I have mixed feelings about the iPad mounts. I like them because they can
orient the iPad to look you directly in the eye. This makes your scan
easier. However, they also obstruct your view. There are only so many
practical places that they can be mounted. No matter where you put it, you
will block a part of your view outside the aircraft. But if you’d prefer to
get a mount, I would get an X-Grip:

If you decide to go with the kneeboard, I like the Folio C:

Tory

I flew today the seminole for the first time. My ipad Air2 was barelly out of the way the whole time. If i would donit again, inwould go with the mini. Just my 2 cents here

Enrico

I use the iPad mini with the yoke mount kit from mygoflight. It’s not cheap but in my opinion it’s the perfect set up. The mini is big enough to get the job done without getting in the way and the yoke mount is the best I’ve seen on the market.