Is it ok to go to a flight school instead of college?

Keaton,

I assumed you were talking about transportation on overnights? Again the hotels often have shuttles that will take you to and from the airport. Sometimes the shuttles will take you other places, if not it’s on you.

Not sure what you mean or where you want to go “while waiting for a flight”?

Adam

Yeah, that’s basically what I meant. Is over night or if you have a long weather delay or whatever the case may be. I don’t see sitting in a airport for 4 or 5 hours, Unless that’s just what pilots do…

Sitting is what we do. Plans often change quickly during delays and wearing your uniform into the local bar or amusement park is never a good idea.

That’s what I was wandering. Didn’t know if since y’all may be in a down town tourist town, go down town an tour it, or just hangout and wait on a new plan.

Keaton,

You better get that idea out of your head right now. While you may not “see sitting in an airport for 4-5 hrs” I promise you will be. If there’s a delay (whether it be for weather, maintenance, etc) and they say expect 4hrs and you think cool, there’s this great restaurant I’ve always wanted to try and go. If the plane gets fixed, swapped, the weather improves or the airline simply reassigns you and you’re not there, guess who gets to spend quality time with the Chief Pilot getting chewed out. Further if this happens at a Regional and the operation gets interrupted and the CP is fired up enough you can forget about that flow you were counting on to the Majors.

Adam

Oh no, I’ll sit there all day. I was just wandering, so I know what to aspect/ just know what it’s like while in a delay. I wouldn’t want to ruin anything that would hurt my chances of making it to the majors. Thank you for all the answers.
By chance do you have a link to your schedule for any month? Not one in particular, just a normal month. Want to see a majors schedule.
Thank you.

Keaton,

Check out the “schedules” section as we all post our schedules there.

Chris

Thank you. I’ll look again, I saw Tory’s. May of over looked y’alls

Quick question, Does it matter if you earned your BS in 2 years or 4 years for the major airline to consider you as a applicant?

Mustafa,

The applications generally ask if you have a 4yr Bachelor’s degree. If you earned yours in 2 they’ll want to know how and ensure it’s from a reputable accredited university.

Adam

I really appreciate the quick response. On another note, do you have to be good at math to become a pilot?

The major airlines want to see an undergraduate degree, also known as a bachelor’s degree, this generally takes four years. If you somehow buckle down and do it in two, that is just a bonus for you. Make sure it is a reputable college.

One needs to have a good working knowledge of the basics of math, I would not worry about it too much beyond that.

Mustafa,

You need to be comfortable with basic math skills (addition, subtraction, multiplication and division). Nothing really beyond that. The simple test I offer to people who are concerned is this:
There are 360 degrees in a circle (or compass). Any given degree (compass heading) has a reciprocal which is 180deg in the opposite direction. You get that reciprocal heading by either adding or subtracting 180deg (ie, 0 deg recip is 180 deg, 90 is 270, 25 is 205 AND visa versa). If you can pick any number between 0 and 360 and calculate its reciprocal you’re good to go as that’s about as complex as the math gets. If not you need to work on it.

Adam

I can’t thank you enough for taking the time to answer my questions.

Lastly does ATP guarantee a direct flow through to the regional airlines once you have all your certifications and ATP

Mustafa,

The short answer is no as that’s not how things work. Before you can fly for a Regional and earn your ATP you must build the required 1500hrs of flight time. Because of that there are no “guaranteed flows” as there really are no guarantees in this industry.

That said ATP has a agreements with virtually every Regional airline in the country. Successful grads of the program who go on to instruct for ATP will have the opportunity for preferred early interviews and those who are offered conditional jobs will also be eligible for Tuition Reimbursement.

I recommend you visit our FAQ section as we explain the process in detail.

Adam

Mustafa,

No school can guarantee a direct flow to the airlines. They might say that they can, but the reality is that they cannot force an airline to hire somebody that they do not want to. ATP does have hiring partnerships with several airlines, you can see them here: https://atpflightschool.com/airlines/

Chris

Thank you for the clarification, I truly appreciate it.