Joining Air Force For Flight Training

Hello my name is James. I am considering joining the air force and receiving flight training there I know that the programs are competitive and was wondering even if i don’t get in would I still have enough flight training to be able to still be a commercial pilot or how would that all work. Would it be better if i trained as a commercial pilot through a separate company and not even go through the Air Force?

Thank you.

James,

While military service is a wonderful thing, ask any pilot who served and they’ll tell you flight training alone is a lousy reason to enlist. Military service is a huge commitment and involves much more than just free flight training. Further with the length of commitment for pilots, it’ll take you much longer than if you went the civilian route.

If you want to serve you country then by all means join the Air Force but if you’re just looking to fly go to flight school.

Adam

Thank you

James,
To be a pilot through the Air Force is incredibly challenging. It is unbelievably competitive and most don’t make the cut. Now imagine if you joined just to be a pilot and you don’t make the cut? Now you’re attached to a lengthy commitment and not flying. Plus when you get out, you’re still at square one trying to figure out flight training four years delayed. Definitely not a box you want to put yourself in if you don’t have a desire to serve.
-Hannah

That’s terrifying thank you to you both I’lll go to flight school.

Let us know if you have any other questions along the way James. That’s what we’re here for.
-Hannah