King schools private pilot test prep

I just want to post on my recent experience as someone who has not started at ATP yet (June 6th start date.) I was given access to King schools and passed my PAR with a 98% this past weekend so I’d say King schools worked as advertised. I also have watched about half of my elevate videos that they want me to watch before I start, haven’t really been grinding through them in any hurry due to me studying for my written’s, and I can say they don’t seem to be a replacement for King Schools when it comes to studying for your PAR test. Both of these resources have taught me a bunch and I don’t want to discredit either, but I’d use King Schools, especially if you’re like me and have no prior experience with aviation. Videos were great to get me eased into things.

Can’t wait for June 6th!

Btw I’m using Sheppard now for my IRA and FII test, I can update on how Sheppard is as advertised once I take those tests hopefully in the next 7-10 days.

1 Like

My understanding from what I heard is that Kings School will still be used for the private phase for all new starts, but not the instrument phase. I was lucky and had the Kings for instrument, and feel it was a huge help to use that and sheppard air to study for my IRA.

2 Likes

Hi Brandon! @bdb5502 Thank you for sharing your experience. Congrats on passing PAR with a 98%! How long did it take for you to study for PAR? Did you also study the Gleim Test prep book? What I’ve heard is that it is like a question bank and some of the questions are almost identical to what you see in the actual test.

I was told by the Training Support team that an old template of “getting ready for your program” email was sent to me and a new one should be sent out, but never received the new email with updated instruction yet. My instruction advises to watch 10 modules of ATP orientation guided study course, but there are definitely more than 10 modules in that category. What Elevate videos were you instructed to watch before your start date? I’m a bit confused and still waiting on the new instruction.

Your start day is coming up so soon. Good luck with everything and please share your experience of the first weeks at ATP whenever you can!

Hyeon,

I only completed King Schools and as soon as I did I scheduled the test. In between the time of me finishing King Schools and waiting for my test date I just continued to diligently review the questions in their question bank and that served me well. I’ve heard of people using other resources but I just felt good after King Schools and Youtube over topics I needed help with. It took me about 17 days from watching the first video and sitting down to take the test, but I also am still working so some days I studied 5 hours and some days I studied 1. The questions on the test matched what King Schools had shown me, if not word for word the videos taught me enough to figure out what I didn’t recognize.

As far as the elevate videos go, I also have the same confusion on what “10 modules” they were referring to in my email. I decided to just go ahead and watch all 59 of them haha. After completing all my PAR studying a lot of the videos felt like review so I just watched like 3 or 4 a day until they were all done.

Hope I gave you some sort of answer you were looking for.

Brandon

Brandon,

Thank you. You certainly answered all I was looking for! I will definitely start with King Schools. What Youtube videos have you found helpful?

Please update on your IRA and FII test preparation and test expereince too if you don’t mind! :slight_smile:

Good for you on completing all 59 videos! haha I’ll update here for those who may benefit from new instruction once I get the email, but for now, I plan on doing the same and just watch them all.

Which aviation headset and iPad kneeboard did you go with? Anything else you are doing in preparation for the start date? I’ll begin my training in September at LGB location.

Sorry, another question: did you get King Schools for Instrument as well?

Hyeon

Yeah the IRA/ FII have been brutal to study for in my personal opinion. I’m using Sheppard Air only and although it is working and I’m learning the correct answers, it doesn’t have the videos and as great of an explanation as King Schools did to actually learn the concepts. So basically I’m stumbling upon questions where I know the correct answer but couldn’t tell you why it’s right and the others are wrong. But as mention in this forum multiple times the goal is to do well on the test and learn the concepts as you begin to apply them during school.

As far as YouTube I just search whatever topic I’m trying to understand better and see what pops up until I find the video that gives me that “aha” moment. FlightInSight has been a good follow for me on YouTube.

For my headset I got the David Clark H10-13X ANR. I wanted those Bose ones everyone seems to have but I was trying to save money where I felt like I could. Obviously without a plane to test them in I can’t really say what I think about them but I’ve put them on my head and man do they feel nice. The Kneeboard I bought unfortunately didn’t fit my new IPad like I figured it would (it was hard to find one that for the new regular iPad) so I bought one that has a Velcro sticker you put on the back of your IPad and it velcros to a strap. I think I’m going to like that a lot but I won’t know until I know,

And lastly, best of luck out in LGB! Sounds like an awesome spot to do some flying! I will update on here as often as I can on my progress though school and any other exams I get knocked out. I’m planning to try and take my IRA and FII next Tuesday hopefully.

Brandon

1 Like

I just purchased the King Schools PPL, Instrument and Commercial Online Ground School and Test Prep courses. If you use the discount code PATROL50 you’ll get half off.

5 Likes