KOGD Update

Checking back in, since I’m grounded by weather today.

I started Feb 17, and flew my first solo flight (takeoff/landing) yesterday. Today’s the second day that I haven’t been able to fly due to weather (last Friday was called off, but we rescheduled for Sunday). I’m really seeing that if student’s knowledge is keeping up, instructors are willing to fly as much as possible.

My night flight was amazing. We flew from OGD down I-15, through the SLC class Bravo, and did a couple landings at PVU (Provo), then back up I-15. My instructor asked if I wanted to do a touch-and-go at SLC, and the controllers were very helpful in fitting us into the traffic. Not everyone can say they’ve done a touch-and-go at a Bravo airport!

Right now my Private Pilot checkride is scheduled for April 5th, which would be 49 days (35 weekdays) since I started. We might have to push it back a little, just because of weather, but I’m still trying hard to make it work.

1 Like

Congrats on your first solo! Always good to see favorable updates from other students.

Keep pushing forward!

Bennett,

Congratulations on your first solo! That is fantastic news and a huge accomplishment.

Keep the updates coming.

Chris

We live in strange times right now. Had two fellow CFIs request and be granted pattern work at MCO yesterday :joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

Private Pilot checkride PASSED! Sad that almost no one was in the center to celebrate with, but them’s the times. Heading right into instrument, so hopefully I’ll have some more updates in a couple weeks!

5 Likes

Bennett,

That is a fantastic accomplishment! Congratulations and keep up the good work.

Chris

Another update - halfway through Instrument! I flew my Instrument Progress Eval on Friday (and had a blast), and then took Sunday to take a quick trip down to North Las Vegas for my 300NM Commercial Duties-of-PIC flight, and we did the 250NM Instrument XC flight back. 7.5 hours is a long time in a 172, but I see it as getting ready for Crew. Also, I was totalling up my logbook, and I passed 100 hours this past week! I have my instrument checkride tentatively scheduled for May 13th, so I’m still studying hard for that!

2 Likes

Bennett,

Great work and thanks for the update! Congrats on passing the 100 hour mark, I still remember when I passed it while I was in training, it was a cool moment.

Chris

Instrument checkride passed! 1 hour oral, 1.3 in the plane. I think it was easier than my private checkride. Crew is up next, then commercial!

6 Likes

Bennett,

Congratulations! That is fantastic news. I personally always felt like the instrument ride was the hardest. Enjoy crew cross countries, that is the best part of the program.

Thank you for the update.

Chris

Crew cross countries and TAA (autopilot) training complete! We enjoyed flying around southern and central California for a week, and then did our TAA training in Mesa. On to Commerical!

3 Likes

Bennett,

That is great, I am glad you enjoyed the cross country phase, it is hard to beat flying around California.

Please keep the updates coming.

Chris

Commercial pilot PASS! 1.8 oral, 1.9 flight. Nice and simple.

3 Likes

Nice! Do you know if you are doing CFi or multi comm first?

Comm multi. Already have the checkride scheduled!

Haha nice! Well good luck!

Bennett,

Congratulations, that is a huge accomplishment. Also, welcome to being a professional pilot.

Thank you for the update, please keep them coming!

Chris

Oh wow… I’ve been lurking for a long while here. I got my PPL at a 141 school based out of KGVL and then went to Auburn to earn my IR. I’m still waiting for my IR EOC and it’ll be probs another 2-3 weeks. Over $15k in flight fees alone for IR and it feels like it’ll never end :frowning: I did just fine in all the prep flights, instructor put me up for stage 2 before EOC and I failed (wild crazy questions).

Once I knock out the EOC I think I know where I’m transferring next… :wink:

Congrats on the progress, man! I wish I started ATP when I started Auburn. I’d be done by now…

Ryan,

Thank you for adding your insight on this.

Chris

Another update! Passed my Commercial Multi-Engine ride yesterday. I think it has been the hardest yet, mostly since I only had 7.6 hours multi by the time I took it. Still, passed, and now waiting for a CFI date. Gotta knock out the writtens, but I don’t think it’ll be an issue.

3 Likes