Lack of recency, but previous flight time

First, thank you to anyone taking the time to read this post - the advice that I see throughout this site truly is awesome.

I’m a pilot in the USAF looking to possibly transition to the airlines in the next year or so. Before my current assignment I racked up approximately 1600 total time (600 or so being PIC multi-engine heavy turbine time). However, I’ve been out of the cockpit for about 3 years now so I’m lacking any sort of recent manned flight time. I have my ATP-AMEL with no restrictions, in addition to a few type ratings I was able to get during my military flying time. My question is, are there any recommendations for somebody in my situation looking to make the transition from military flying to the airlines? My ultimate goal would be to fly for a major (but understand that may be a bit ambitious at this point) - Is there anything that you can recommend I do in addition to the applications themselves? Are there any currency or checkride requirements that I need to get knocked out before potentially being considered?

Thanks in advance for any advice you may have!

Andy

Andy,

While you got the qualifications, honestly your time is low to be competitive for a Major. The good news is you probably won’t need to spend a great deal of time at a Regional (or maybe an LCC) before moving up.

As for your recency, that is also a concern. Whatever airline hires you will train you to fly their jet but they do expect you to be a current and very proficient instrument pilots. Getting hired is easy. Getting through training is not.

I’ve seen pilots who have been away longer than 3yrs so it shouldn’t be that arduous to get your skills back. Just do alot of reading and do instrument flying (def a BFR) and you should be fine.

Adam

1 Like

You should also include an IPC with your BFR.

Tory

Andy,

I am with the others here, do whatever you need to be current, to include a BFR and IPC. I would expect that you will probably have to spend a bit of time at the regionals, but hopefully not too long. I would call the recruiting departments of several regional airlines and ask them directly what kind of currency requirements they have.

Chris