38 y/o career switcher / former Navy, 1100 hours

Hey folks! I’m new to this blog but I love the content. Thanks in advance for any advice - here’s what’s on my mind:

I served in the Navy from 2006-2016 and spent the first six of those years in the cockpit mostly flying the H-60 helicopter. I racked up just about 1100 hours (about 100 of which were fixed wing and 240 or so were PIC). I haven’t flown since 2012 and I’m in a very different career now, but I’m wondering what it would take to get back in the cockpit and get hired by an airline. I have a great private sector job now, but I’m 38 and flying is what I want to do for my career…the corporate life has been good, but ultimately it isn’t for me. It’s time to get going and make a change before more time passes by, and this national pilot shortage is an added motivation.

I’m looking for your advice on the most efficient path to get hired by an airline, given my experience, but knowing that I’ll need to knock the rust off and obtain civilian certifications. I guess I’m just wondering if I need to go through the entire process (PPL, instrument, commercial, 1500 hours etc.) OR if there is an efficient and effective way to incorporate my prior training and minimize redundancies. I’m willing to do what it takes.

Thanks so much for any thoughts or perspectives! My very best to all of you…
-Whit

1 Like

Whit,

As you point out you first need to convert your military certs to FAA licenses. I don’t believe you’ll have to redo any of your ratings but you’ll definitely additional fixed wing time to meet the airline requirements to have ATP mins.

The are a number of programs out there targeted directly at pilots like you but I couldn’t say if one is better than another. SkyWest actually has a program that will help pay for it. I’m sure they could point you towards schools they like.

https://www.skywest.com/skywest-airline-jobs/career-guides/rotor-transition-program

Adam

1 Like

Whit,

Most regionals offer a rotor transition program. It is just a matter of narrowing down which regional you want to fly for and contacting them directly to inquire.

Good luck! It’s a great time to be flying.

Tory

Thank you both for the help!

1 Like