Laptop/iPad Question

I have an iPad mini 4 that I used while obtaining my PPL at a small school and used my work laptop to study in my free time. I am quitting my job and having to give the laptop back when I start ATP and wanted to see what other students have used in the past?

I think the mini is too small to study on, is the full size too big for the cockpit? I would rather get the full size as opposed to buying a $1,200+ Mac or Surface.

Advice is appreciated!

1 Like

Zachary,

I used a mini and a surface throughout the program. The mini is a popular choice, but if you prefer to have something bigger the standard iPad, iPad Air, or the 11 inch iPad Pro will also work. The 11in iPad Pro actually has similar dimensions as the standard iPad and iPad Air, but has the largest screen of the 3 models.

Adding a computer or laptop is a personal preference. An iPad is all that is needed, but if you think a laptop would be helpful that’s up to you.

Tory

Zachary,

I’d say students are 50/50 on mini vs IPad Pro in the airplane. I used the iPad Pro and didn’t find it too big in the cockpit (just stay clear of the jumbo size one, 12.9”. I liked the simplicity of being able to use it in flight and on the ground studying. Once you become an instructor, you can also utilize the 11” size to schedule out your students or even attach a keyboard to type up debrief notes. Maybe you could sell the mini and use the proceeds towards a new iPad.

Hannah

3 Likes

Zachary,

I like my iPad Mini in the airplane, I’ve seen some bigger iPads and to me they get in the way especially if you have to sit close to the yoke due to seat height. My mini was enough for me to study, in fact I would take it on walks around the apartment complex and study when I was a student. It was good to use just like someone with a kindle would do if they had a book to read. For ForeFlight it isn’t to small for me, I don’t mind having to zoom in here and there to look at something.

Honestly it comes down to what you prefer, I think you have an X number of days for an exchange/return with Apple or the retailer you go through if you decide the iPad is not the appropriate size for your liking. I used a laptop as well, so I didn’t find a need to have a bigger iPad for other things.

Brady