Laptop necessary?

Hi everyone,
Just wanted to know, in addition to the iPad, will having a laptop at home be of great use during pre-school ground tests, studying etc? And also throughout the 9mos program? Trying to decide if buying one would be in my best interest. Thank you!

Chase

Chase,

Totally up to you. I personally like having my laptop (bigger screen and keyboard) but I’m old and more important I already have one. Not sure I’d invest in one if I didn’t already have one and it’s definitely not required.

Adam

Chase,

I don’t think I used one either. If you are on a budget then I would suggest waiting until you are a few weeks in and go from there.

Tory

Chase,
Do you plan on getting the full size iPad 10/11” or the mini? If you go with the mini, you may need another device to study off of if the small size bothers you. I don’t think you can go wrong with the full size iPad because you can use it as your EFB in the plane and to study while at the training center. Although, some students feel like the full size is too big for the cockpit. It’s all just preference. If you’re on a budget, I’d go with the cheapest and simplest option of one device that can do everything!

-Hannah

I think it just depends on how comfortable you are using your iPad in place of a laptop like Hannah said. If you have a bigger version of the iPad and can get a bluetooth keyboard to connect with it, then you won’t need a laptop. Once you get to CFI training you’ll definitely want something that makes it easy to make lesson plans and keep them all organized (I used a laptop but saw other students using iPads). Whatever works for you!!

Chase,

I cannot image going without a laptop, I like the 15" screen and the keyboard. I do study off my iPad for work though and seem to get by with it.

Chris

1 Like

Thanks everyone for the quick replies! As far as the iPad, I’ll probably go new 10.2. The difference between that and 9.7 doesn’t bother me. And as far as laptop, I’ll probably get one a little further down the road, maybe around CFI. Thanks again!

Chase

Any time. Let us know how else we can help you.

Chris