Licensing Requirements : Transitioning to Commercial Flying

Hello Guys!

My name is Ronald and I am 46 years old with more than 2500 hours of flying experience. I am a qualified flying instructor and almost all of experience is on trainer and high performance military aircraft. Now I am making a transition to commercial flying and will be moving to Canada very soon with my family. I have zero experience of how all the commercial licensing process goes. Can you please give me an insight what all certifications I need to do to qualify for commercial aircraft.

Thanks, Ronald

Ronald,

Welcome to the forums. Is your goal to fly for a Canadian or US based company?

Chris

Hello Chris,

Thanks for the reply. Actually my first preference was to fly for a US based company. But according to my research you can only do that if you are a US citizen or Permanent Residence. So that pretty much restrict my options. Additionally my family will be moving to Canada soon so that is also a governing factor.

Thanks, Ronald

Ronald,

You are right about the requirements to fly for a US based airline. With that in mind, I recommend that you contact the Canadian version of the FAA and ask them what they can do with your military experience. You might need to consider getting your licenses from the FAA first based on your military experience, then converting to Canadian licenses. Is your military experience with the US military?

Chris

I am trying to contact the Canadian version of FAA. You recommended that I should consider getting my licenses from the FAA first and then converting to Canadian licenses. Any particular reason for that ?.

Thanks Ronald

Ronald,

It would help to know which country’s military you flew for. If you flew for the US military, the FAA is often able to grant certain licenses based on that, which Canada might be willing to convert. I don’t see Canada directly issuing you a license based off of US military flying, but I really don’t know.

If you flew for the US military, there are probably people in your squadron who are a lot more familiar with this than we are. All three of the mentors here are civilians.

Chris

Thank you Chris for all your help. I flew for the Malaysian military. I am in touch with Transport Canada who will spell out the licensing requirements soon.

Thanks for all your help.

Ronald

No problem. Good luck.