Military to Airline Transition

Hey guys, short time lurker, first time poster…I’m a current C-17 pilot for the Air Force and my commitment is coming up on Oct 2022. I’m trying to find information on the process for transitioning from military flying to an ATP, but have not found as many resources as I had hoped for.

Does anyone have any information on what that process looks like and what sort of timeline I should be anticipating for going from active duty to an airline?

Crazy vague question I know, I’m still at the “I don’t know what I don’t know” phase. Happy to provide background information if required.

Brad,

My understanding is the hardest part is simply getting your paperwork together. Once you do you can go to your local FSDO (Flight Standards District Office) and get your FAA Commercial license. Pilots | US Department of Transportation

Once you get that it’s a matter of flight time. If you’ve got sufficient to meet the competitive mins for a Major, you could apply directly but you will need to take the ATP-CTP course and obtain your ATP. If you don’t but at least meet the Regional mins they will include the ATP-CTP as part of your newhire training.

Adam

1 Like

Brad,
Welcome to the forum! Just to supplement what Adam said, I’ll post the R-ATP mins below:

-Hannah

1 Like

Thanks for the information, I’ll spend some time clicking through those links and probably be back with some follow-one from there. Thanks again!

Brad,

Try using joining RTAG on Facebook. It’s a group of military men and women, mostly pilots, both fixed and rotary wing. It’s a wealth of knowledge for military members who want to go to the airlines. They have FAQ so I would start there as well as search for past questions/threads and if those do not answer your specific question(s), then you are free to post and ask.

Sam

1 Like