Life style and days off

Hi all, can any one tell us a little bit about the first officer/ captain family life style ? How many days off he has a month to spend it with the family? Of course I fully understand that the pilot has very flexible hourly schedules and he might work nights and day etc… but general speaking a months how many days he gets.
I am in a business for example that you work 12 hours a day and I get 5 days a month off. Thank you

Mohamad,

EVERYTHING at the airlines is controlled by seniority. When you’re junior you’ll fly when, where and how much the airline needs you to. That can mean flying 18 days a month and some VERY long days. As you build seniority you’ll gain more control as you’ll get more of your preferences. Senior Capts can work as little as 8 days a month. Most pilots are somewhere in between.

Take a look at our schedules section. You’ll see our actual schedules and get a better idea what I’m talking about.

Adam

Thank you Adam so much for your reply. I’m currently working 12 hours a day and I only get 7 days off. I feel like I have no life. I’ve been saving money for about 5 years now and I’m very close to join the academy next year. I’m married with two kids and I’m just thinking that after 5 or 7 years of hard working do I get a life of having 10 days off to see my family. And I see that your email is very helpful and give me hope for the future. Thank you