Long haul vs Short Haul

After i finish flight school, get to the regionals and then accomplish the majors ex delta american united minimum flight time for a first officer position. Will i be able to choose long haul right away or would i have to do short haul first at the majors?

Jordan,

First off getting to the Majors is the pinnacle of this industry. It takes a great deal of hard work and frankly not everyone gets the call. If you are fortunate enough to get there you’ll be assigned the aircraft that has a need. More often than not that generally means a narrowbody airplane (as they pay less) and short haul. However there have been times when due to certain circumstances (new aircraft, new bases, etc) there’s a need and you could be placed on a widebody right away but that again is rare.

Regardless should you ever make it to a Major I’m quite certain you’ll be happy with whatever plane you’re awarded.

Adam

Okay thank you

What came to mind also is that i think there will always be a pilot shortage maybe for now. So it would be at a greater chance getting to the majors. I guess

Jordan,

It is very rare for new hire pilots to be able to hold long haul flights, but ist has certainly happened. I would plan on spending your first several years at a major doing domestic flying.

Chris

1 Like

Jordan,

The Majors were no where suffering as much as the Regionals. It’s still a challenge and definitely not a given.

Adam

1 Like