Looking for a commercial license but I don't want to fly for major airlines

As the title of this suggests I want to have my commercial license. I have no desire to fly for major air lines but I want to be paid to fly. Is this ATP school for me? Is there another flight school out there that will fit me?

1 Like

Stephen,

Why wouldn’t it be? While ATPs bread and butter are training pilots for the airlines, to fly professionally you’ll still need the same licenses and ratings. Also keep in mind ATP has partnerships with many Part 91 and Part 135 carriers (aka not airlines) that could help you towards your goal.

As for other flight schools there are many but none that share ATPs reputation and success rates.

Adam

1 Like

Thank you for the reply. I’m just not interested always being “on the road.” My current job has me away from the family for a few months out of the year. Flying smaller aircraft and staying local is more of my speed now that I have a child.

Stephen,

There are not many local pilot jobs that will have you home and not out on the road. Pilots by definition move people from one point to another, usually distant, point. That means time on the road. All of the corporate pilots that I know spend significant time away from home. I will be honest, if your goal is to be home the vast majority of y9our time, this might not be the career for you.

Chris

1 Like

Stephen,

Even though ATP’s motto is “Fastest Track to an Airline Career” doesn’t mean that you can’t attend to get all your ratings and fly for corporate or charter company. There are countless pilots that come out of ATP’s network that go onto flying corporate gigs or for charter companies, like NetJets, FlexJet, Wheels Up and etc.

There are also other Part 91 gigs that you could look into if you are trying to stay local; however not as profitable (if monetary value is concern). The other option you have is career flight instructing, if you so desire.

Brady

1 Like