In search of guidance

Flying has always been a passion of mine and I have been living out of a suitcase all my life. But it wasn’t until a few months ago that I realized I could be doing this for a living instead of doing the traditional corporate office job. I am 32 and finishing up my PPL. I have 2 graduate degrees (neither of them aviation-related) and have been working for Corporate America for the last 6 years and very much over it. I am relatively new to aviation, and in need of guidance as I don’t want to waste any more time than necessary. Being a major airline pilot has never been very appealing to me, but it almost seems like this is the route to take. Ideally, I prefer corporate flying and charter flights, as I enjoy meeting people and building connections, but from my understanding, the training path is the same for every for-pay position in aviation. I am currently part time at my local flight school, but once I obtain my PPL, I would like to pursue this full time and this is where I am getting lost. Is ATP strictly just for airlines? Is airline experience a stepping stone towards corporate flying? Does it make sense to do ATP if my end goal is not the airlines? Can someone please provide a recommendation? I am very serious about this but struggling with the next steps. Thank you in advance!

Victoria,

Great questions so let’s get you some answers. No need to get lost.

1. First and foremost ATP is absolutely not just for aspiring airline pilots. As you point out, the training and licensing requirements are the same for ANY professional pilot and ATP is the most efficient route. ATP will take you from your PPL through the rest of the required licenses and even provide you the opportunity to instruct to build time to reach your goal. As I’m sure you’re aware the airlines are suffering from a huge pilot shortage, but the reality is ALL of aviation is facing the same challenge. Really the only difference is corporate can be a little more challenging to get into. It’s more about networking and getting a foot in the door. While ATPs marketing is geared more towards the airlines, many grads go the corporate route (check some of Sergey’s and Hannah’s posts).

2. Maybe? As I said, the higher paying better corporate jobs like to see solid experience and flying for a Regional airline is a great way to get that experience. That said the fractionals (NetJets, etc) are hiring and that would probably be a better path.

3. Definitely! See #1

4. Full disclosure. If you look up and to the left you’ll clearly see ATPs logo. This is ATPs forum and all the mentors are former and successful students. We’re not salesmen nor do we receive any incentive to “sign you up”. We were all simply where you were at some point, trying to navigate the path and after doing our research concluded there was no better route. ATP has been training pilots for careers in aviation for almost 40yrs. They literally pioneered the pathway and have had thousands of sucessful grads go on to careers in aviation. Over 1,000 in the last 12mos alone.

Hope this helps.

Adam

Hi Victoria,

While ATP was inspired and designed by former airline pilots to help prospective students become airline pilots themselves, the school is also appropriate for people that have other aspirations such as yourself.

ATP has helped graduates land corporate flying jobs. Some graduates have also been successful at networking their way into the corporate flying world on their own.

Airline experience is not required to fly corporate although some do use the airlines as a stepping stone to corporate. The thing to understand is that the corporate flying industry is very diverse. Each corporate flying job will have its own specific set of requirements in order for pilots to be eligible for certain jobs. For example, some corporate jobs don’t require turbine PIC experience and some do. Some just require turbine experience. Each position is unique and requires careful consideration.

The jobs that do not require any turbine or turbine PIC experience are the easiest to get, but they are also known for restricting a first officer’s duties to primarily non-flying responsibilities like assisting with the landing gear, flaps, and radio communications.

If, however, you can manage to gain some turbine experience, or even better some turbine PIC experience, then you essentially become more qualified for some of the corporate jobs that allow for more flying responsibilities and even potential upgrade opportunities.

ATP is absolutely an appropriate option for you. Since you are thinking about taking the corporate pilot route I would recommend enrolling in the 100 hour multi engine program versus the 25 hr ME program because having more multi engine time will make you more competitive in the corporate world.

Even though you mentioned that you are working on your PPL, you still have the option of beginning ATP’s program from zero hours or with a PPL plus a minimum of 78 hours total time. Refer to ATP’s website for specifics. It’s up to you to decide if you would prefer to continue towards your PPL at your current school or to make the switch now. If you are close to completion and are happy with your current situation then perhaps sticking with it makes more sense. If your training has been dragging along or you are not happy with your current flight school then starting over at ATP is also an option.

Lastly, ATP has some partnerships with some corporate airlines and can definitely help you in that regard if you so choose. A list of airline partnerships can be found on ATP’s website. It is also strongly suggested that you network with anyone and everyone that is connected to the corporate industry as a lot of the flying positions are secured through personal connections/recommendations.

Tory

Victoria,

Welcome to the forum. Let’s jump right in…

The part 135 side of aviation is includes many different kinds of flying from light cargo, sightseeing tours to very ritzy passenger carry. It basically is non scheduled air carrier operations. Corporate pilots are employed by large non-aviation companies like Walmart, Lowe’s, Coca Cola, etc. to fly the company’s aircraft. They don’t fly unless the management needs to go somewhere. Charter pilots are employed by an air carrier and provide jet club type service to elite clientele. This is where Net Jets, Flex Jet, Mountain Aviation, FlyExclusive, etc. operate.

Most career corporate and charter pilot positions require an ATP certificate. If you want to go this route, your training remains the same, time building to 1500 hours, an ATP/CTP Course, ATM written and subsequent ATP certificate. The only different I’d recommend is doing the 100 hr multi program. It is more expensive but those extra 75 hours of multi time on your logbook will really help you get hired.

After I hit my 1500 hours, the airlines weren’t hiring so I explored the charter world. I had about 250 hrs of multi and it still was tough to get in. Luckily, ATP had some great partnerships that helped pave the way for my first job at FlyExclusive.

Hannah

Victoria,

The others did a great job answering your questions, so there is no need for me to repeat those answers. I would point out one thing though. While corporate pilots do fly executives and celebrities around, their involvement with them is usually rather minimal and you will likely not be building any connections with whatever CEO you are flying. Corporate flying is glamorous for those getting the ride, for the pilots it often involves doing extra tasks such as picking up the catering, washing the airplane, etc. You will not be sitting down to have drinks with Tom Cruise, ever. The afore mentioned “extra” tasks are some of the main reasons that most pilots tend to gravitate to the airline world.

Chris

1 Like