Main or Major?

I just joined this… social questions website? Anyway, do I call it, Mainline Pilot or Major PIlot? I’m writing a Google Slides about becoming an AMerican Pilot, which I hope to become, and I am confused about the first job I’m researching. One article says Mainline while another says Major… are they the same with just a different name or different?

Juliana,

The terms are used interchangeably. I would stick with major airline pilot. If you have done your research you will also learn that their are also regional airline pilots that are employed by regional airlines that operate flights under a major airline name.

Tory

1 Like

Juliana,

A quick guide:

All part 121 pilots are considered “Airline Pilots”.
Then there are regional airlines and major airlines.

Regionals are SkyWest, Endeavor, Envoy, Piedmont, PSA, Horizon, Mesa… airlines that operate flights for major airlines.

Majors are an umbrella term that covers most other airlines.

JetBlue, Frontier, Spirit, Allegiant and Sun Country are also called (LCCs, Low cost carriers).

American, United and Delta are called “Legacies”.

Does that help?

Hannah

1 Like

So are Majors Pilot careers or actually airlines/companies/airports?
And no… I’m in fact more confused lol
Like, I heard that being a regional Pilot you’re staying in a more local area, whereas being a major Pilot you travel across the world. Is that true?

Juliana,

“majors” and “mainline” are synonyms. “Mainline” is an older word that comes from the railroad era when there were mainlines and branch lines, terms still in use in the railroad industry.

I am not sure what you are asking in your first question.

Regional pilots do not fly as long of flights because the airplanes are smaller and simply do not have the range to fly across oceans, nor would it make sense in a small airplane. Major airlines tend to have worldwide routes, but also shorter domestic routes as well. Neither will keep you in the local area. It might be worth looking up the terms on wikipedia.

Chris

1 Like