March '20 - No rest for the weary

As discussed last month, 75hrs on Reserve wasn’t cuttin’ it PLUS it was clear the next few months there’d be severe reductions in flying so had to grab what I can when there’s something to grab soooo…

3/2: Union Day
3/3: OFF
3/4: HNL-KOA-HNL-LIH-OGG-HNL
3/5-6: OFF
3/7: HNL-KOA-HNL-LIH-OGG-HNL
3/8: HNL-LIH-HNL-LIH-HNL-ITO-HNL
3/9: HNL-KOA-LIH-HNL
3/10-11: Union Meetings
3/12-13: OFF
3/14: HNL-LIH-OGG-HNL-ITO-HNL
3/15: HNL-OGG-HNL-OGG-ITO-HNL
3/16: HNL-OGG-HNL-KOA-LIH (*Divert to HNL)-HNL-LIH-HNL
3/17: HNL-LIH-HNL-ITO-HNL
3/18: HNL-OGG-HNL-OGG-LIH-HNL
3/19-20: OFF
3/21: HNL-KOA-HNL-KOA-OGG-HNL
3/22: HNL-OGG-HNL-OGG-HNL-OGG-HNL
3/23: OFF
3/24: Union Day
3/25: OFF
3/26: HNL-KOA-HNL-KOA-HNL
3/27: HNL-OGG-HNL-OGG-ITO-HNL
3/28: Trip Cxled
3/29: HNL-OGG-HNL-OGG-ITO-HNL
3/30-31: OFF

Good news all trips were AMs, home everyday by 2pm (most by noon).

Block: 49hrs Credit: 96

2 Likes

Adam,
Thanks for posting this! How long did it take you to develop a schedule of just turns? I know I’m going to into the wrong profession if I want to be home every night, but it would be nice some trips haha.
Thanks!

Logan,

Here at Hawaiian it could be day one but we have a very unique operation that you really won’t find elsewhere. Since we fly InterIsland (in addition to our Mainland and International operations) pilots on the 717 only do turns. There are no overnights. It’s the lowest paying aircraft due to size in the fleet so there is a compromise but you literally cannot beat the lifestyle.

Adam

It seems like there’s been a lot of last minute cancellations in March due to schedule reductions, how does that affect your schedule?

Dan,

March we actually retained a very full schedule InterIsland and mainland (I only had one trip cancellation) but international drew down considerably. April however is a different story. We’re only doing a fraction of our flying. Many pilots took voluntary leaves with reduced pay and all pilots were pay protected for their trips who didn’t but subject to reassignment. I’m only flying a couple of times a week but am insanely busy with union work as we work with the company to get through this.

Adam

1 Like

How does it work when a pilot has a trip scheduled and then it gets cancelled a few days prior? Do they get reassigned to another or do they just receive the pay for the amount of hours that they would have flown?

Dan,

It can vary from airline to airline but at mine you’re “pay protected” for the trip but you can be reassigned for another trip so long as the new trip fits within the original “footprint” (start/finish time, #of days). If you’re reassigned you get the higher value of the 2 trips. These days since there’s minimal flying the chance of being reassigned is minimal.

Adam

Dan,

Out cancellation policy is the same as what Adam described.

Chris

I’d love to see a picture of your normal view (of the islands) from the cockpit! Hawaii is so beautiful. Gotta love that island life.

Hawaiian is definitely on my airline employment wish list.

Actually, it got me thinking, if you flew somewhere, had a layover, and you original flight the next day was cancelled, would you have to deadhead or something?

Dan,

We don’t do layovers InterIsland. None, ever. But sure if we got stuck do to a mechanical you would have to DH back. Unless you’re a REALLY good swimmer!

Adam

Amanda,

I was about to post a nice picture for you but after your Diet Coke comment/dis I’m not going to. Consider this your punishment.

Adam

1 Like

Lol- I stand my ground! Never and in the trash!

Stand all you like. There are people who swear the Earth is flat too. Don’t make them right :wink:

Adam

2 Likes