Math

What types of math are used when training and actually being a pilot

1 Like

Ibraim,

Basic math skills are all that are required. Addition, subtraction, multiplication, division and maybe some algebra. Nothing too challenging.

Adam

Addition, subtraction, multiplication, division and not much else.

Could someone give an example of how math is used? I’m a high school Junior doing some research on the math that is used in a career I am interested in pursuing for a math class.

Alexandra,

As we’ve said it’s really fairly basic but here’s my fav example when asked: Reciprocal headings. A reciprocal heading is the opposite direction of a course, radial etc and is 180deg away. Soooo if I say give me the reciprocal of 0deg you add 180 and you get 180deg, 090deg’s is 270. But what happens when you get to the higher number like 256? If you add 180 you get 436 and since there’s only 360deg that can’t be right so you have to subtract the 180 and get 076.

That’s about as tough as it gets.

Adam

We also use math to calculate aircraft weight, headwind and crosswind components, making altitude crossing restrictions, and figuring stopping distance, amongst many other things.

Chris

Thank you both very much. This information is very helpful. I appreciate your responses.

Alexandra