Use of Math

Hello,
math is one of my least favorite subjects and it’s one of my weakest elements. On a daily basis, how common is math used by the average pilot? Also, what math classes are taught in pilot school that I should be preparing for?

Eric,

No math classes are taught in flight school. It’s assumed you have some good basic math skills and that’s really all you need (addition, subtraction, multiplication and division).

When asked this question I offer the following as this is about as advanced as it gets. For any number of reasons you’ll need to be able to find the reciprocal (opposite) of any heading. A compass has 360°. The reciprocal of any number between 0-360 requires you to add or subtract 180 since we can’t go above 360 (ie, the reciprocal of 180 is 360, 90 is 270, 225 is 45, 320 is 140, etc etc). If you can do that you’ll be fine. If you can’t you need to work on your skills.

Adam

1 Like

Eric,

Flight training is flight training, it is not primary nor secondary education. I can’t really recall the last time I used trigonometry or calculus in any flight event, but that doesn’t mean don’t advance your math knowledge.

Along with Adam’s scenario, there’s a lot of times you’re dividing and multiplying ‘simple’ equations for ground speed and descent planning. Can you divide by 3? Multiply by 5? Drop some digits and add them back efficiently and accurately?

Brady

I would just like to thank both for you for your timely answers. I’ve already started studying the module of the plane and once I finish college to have a degree to fall back on, I plan on going to flight school. By then my hair will be cut short and my knowledge on the subject will be as high as I can make it. Thank you.

Hi Eric,

If there’s some particular math knowledge you’re struggling with or worried about, I recommend practicing on Khan Academy. It’s great for brushing the cobwebs off of your math knowledge, and it’s free and fun to use.

What is this Khan Academy you speak of? Is this similar to Study Island (now I guess called Edmentum) with the famous “No students left behind.”

Brady

Never heard of her. I just know that Khan Academy was great for me to relearn the principles of Calculus before I went back to grad school. It has lessons all the way down to the kindergarten level as well.

Ah… makes sense, maybe I should check it out. Brush up on my quick division and multiplication purposes for descent planning. “Will I make this gate if I just hang out at FL370 another 5 miles to conserve just 7 pounds of fuel.” :wink:

Brady