Military non-aviation to commercial airline pilot

Good evening ladies and gentlemen, mentors and friends.

I am 29 years old, and currently serving in the military as an IT. I have been on active duty for about 9 years and will hit 12 when my final contract is up. Over the years, aviation has struck me multiple times as a primary interest but I always found a way around it. Out of high school, I didn’t have the grades for a good Air Force program and signed up for active duty. Then, I ended up in the Navy as an IT while I looked at other goals and dreams. I had a brief application process to fly helicopters for the Army before catching new orders and leaving, and changing my path. I then ended up in special operations as a communicator for the better part of a decade where I’ve had a blast traveling and working.

Work has been fun, challenging and at times exhilarating and unique. As I climb the ranks, I find that this is not an organization I want to be a part of anymore (military) for personal reasons. Furthermore, IT is not something I want to do for the rest of my life. I’ve traveled the world multiple times over and everywhere I go I can’t help but be fascinated with flight. Military travel, commercial travel, large birds, small ones, fixed wing, rotary wing. I’ve decided it’s time to start planning for a career switch. Every time I get on board, I find myself revisiting the thought of being in the cockpit.

Based on some preliminary research including time on the forums and other outlets, I’ve outlined some expectations and goals that’d I’d like to get eyes on. I know that time/seniority is everything, and I cannot waste time. I don’t have a choice as far as my contract goes, I must wait 3 more years. But at 33 years old, I can get grinding. I will have an associates degree in computer networking, and I’d like to take that degree to ATP or a similar organization, complete my training, take the instructor hours, work for a regional, complete my BS online with ASU (been doing school online while busy for years) and become a commercial airline pilot by my 40’s. I’ve considered getting out and doing a full GI bill path with a degree in flight, which would cover a large part of my expenses but seems to be less efficient. Time is money.

I also understand that my GI bill will be grossly underutilized this route, as I won’t be funded by it at ATP and I will not receive housing allowances or anything else. I CAN, however, attend online classes, 1 at a time while going and collect BAH and work on my BS while attending flight school. Alternatively, and what I think makes more sense, is to use my GI bill while at a regional carrier.

I’m looking for some insight on this preliminary plan; suggestions, matters-of-facts, slaps of reality. I have no immediate family (very long term girlfriend, supportive, no children though) or debt and expect to be pretty comfortable by the time I get out, financially at least. Though I will still need to secure funding, grants/loans, etc.

Thanks, everyone.

Sean,

I think your plan is very well thought out and will serve you well. I do not really see anything I would change about it. Please continue to ask us any questions you may have.

Chris

Thanks for the reply Chris. I’m in Virginia Beach too, maybe someday I could catch you for a bit of guidance and discussion.

Sean,

I agree with Chris, it’s a solid plan. The only thing I’m disputing is your timeline. If you start at ATP at 33 then instruct immediately after, you should be a commercial airline pilot by 35-36. Long before your 40s.

Adam

Adam,

Is the term commercial airline pilot synonymous with regional carrier pilot? I suppose the end-state goal to clarify would be to pilot a large passenger airplane for a major carrier (I enjoy United from a customer perspective) by my 40’s. I love those planes. Thanks for the response!

Sean,

Yes, Regional pilots are actually genuine commercial airline pilots.

So that begs a question? While I appreciate your desire to fly for a Major, what if you didn’t make it? While there’s a good chance (provided your successful in training and don’t have any blemishes) you will, what if you didn’t? Would your dream not be fulfilled? Would you not be happy or feel like less of a pilot? Would you consider your training to have been a waste of time?

I flew for a Regional for almost 10 yrs. It was an amazing experience and I was very happy and very proud of the job I did. I took a shot and applied to a Major and was fortunate to get hired BUT truth be told if I didn’t make it that would’ve been fine. Other than my paycheck I’m still the same pilot I was. No better or worse. The fact is the are zero guarantees in this industry.

Adam

Adam,

Check. I did some additional research and was being a bit ignorant with phraseology. I do think that from what I’ve been reading, in some cases, a short-haul regional gig can actually be a good one from some people’s perspective. That’s some good insight though, I am learning that the industry doesn’t have clear cut paths (do (x), attain (y) and that just having a job as a pilot should be the true end-state goal.

To answer your question then, no, I don’t think I’d think less of anything as I take pride in my job from fast food worker to combat communications. I think making a living bringing birds up and down would be the primary goal, and the big aircraft ferrying people or cargo would be a nice finish. I’ll have to look ahead and see how I can better prepare myself to be competitive either way. Thanks again.

1 Like

Sean,

Great answer. That btw is a good Regional airline interview question. Congrats, you passed! :wink:

Adam

1 Like

Thanks for the continued help guys. I’ve spent dozens of hours scouring material and and beginning to commit fully to this, barring I don’t get hurt or anything in the coming years to separation. Spoke with the lady and family and we’re gonna start planning logistics for funding, housing etc. since I’ll have mortgages to maintain while going to ATP.

I’m curious at the different ATP schools. Is each school equally capable of what is advertised on the site? I’d like a west coast location. I’m currently at an airport staring at planes so forgive the typing and info management.

Also, I’m trying to get a better gouge on the workload during the fast track. Is it feasible for a motivated person to do the 9 month program while attending night classes or online classes so I can receive BAH? I plan to pay for my flight school in cash from my own savings. GI bill BAH would greatly offset tuition.

Hopefully all these young motivated instructors won’t mind a salty ol veteran getting trained! Lastly, I have two full tattoo sleeves. I’ve read a few different company memos basically stating it’s fine if they are covered. What is your guys experience with this?

Sean

Sean,

ATP works very hard at maintaining standardization throughout out their network. Pick a location that works for you, there is no best or better locations.

The program is HIGHLY accelerated taking what most schools do in years down to months. There will be some very long days and when you’re not actually training you should be studying or resting your brain. Many find the program challenging with no outside distractions and it’s for that reason we strongly discourage any other studies, jobs etc. That said this is America and no one can or will stop you but know that inevitably one area will suffer. Busting a few checkrides can seriously derail your future aviation career and fail to show up prepared will cause ATP to ask you to leave. $80k+ and your future is ALOT to gamble with but it’s your decision.

Full sleeves are becoming more and more common but regardless the airlines want them covered. As long as you don’t mind being the guy wearing long sleeves in Vegas when it’s 110 outside they won’t either. But don’t expect your crewmembers to cut you slack or be “cool with it” if you don’t.

Adam

1 Like

Thanks again Adam!

I fully expected that any professional job I took, I’ll be covering my arms. I’ve been in some of the worst places on earth in long sleeves for months so I’ve accepted that.

I may be overestimating my ability to work hard and retain information. I think I’ll save all my deployment money over the next few years for funding, and go to college after I get a somewhat stable job to finish my BS, though I may finish it while in the service.

I’m slowly building a plan for the coming years, so thank you for providing such invaluable insight. I’m feeling very confident despite completely dropping a stable, high paying IT career for a switch. But it needs to happen.

Sean

Sean,

I would absolutely stay away from any kind of additional stressors while in the program, to include taking college classes. The program is highly condensed as it is, if you add additional stress to the mix, something is bound to give, either your grades or your checkride performances. One thing at a time.

Chris

1 Like

Another quick follow question gentlemen,

Medical. I wasn’t really thinking about it, but does ringing in the ears or other audio nuances cause issue? My hearing is otherwise baseline.

I still work in an operational environment, and maintain an active jump physical (free fall). Sometimes I forget my body and senses went through accelerated aging. I’d otherwise consider myself a healthy young adult, but I have a few aches.

Sorry for the chained postings… I’m an exhaustive planner and I’ve actually started shifting small gears at work already for this.

Sean

Sean,

You will need to speak with an FAA medical examiner about any health concerns. We are not able to dispense health advice on this website.

Chris

1 Like