Military or college first

Hi, I was wondering if I should join the military or go to college first to become a commercial pilot, also after the military did you need more hours of flying to get to the 1500 hours?

Thomas,

This question comes up from time to time so I suggest you read some of the conversations but the short answer is no. No one should join the military to become an airline pilot. To defend and serve your country is a very noble endeavor and I have nothing but respect for ALL who serve. It requires a huge commitment (particularly if you want to fly) not to mention there’s always the risk of being sent overseas to fight. If you have the will and desire to serve then by all means you should BUT not to become a commercial pilot. If you want to become an airline pilot then go to school, earn a degree then learn to fly. The military while providing outstanding training is not the fastest or easiest route and again requires a huge commitment of many years.

If you were to fly in the military you would however be eligible for an R-ATP at 750hrs. That said chances are those who went the civilian route and built their 1500hrs would still be far ahead of you in seniority.

Adam

Thomas,

You should join the military if you want to serve your country and live the military lifestyle. Being in the military is a life changing decision that will affect every aspect of your life, up to and including your actual life should you end up making the ultimate sacrifice for your country.

Now if all of that sounds good to you, then you can go to the military and hopefully they will select you to be a pilot, but you should know that almost every branch requires their pilots to be officers, which means going to college before joining the military, or going through one of the academies.

Most military pilots leave the service with an excess of 1,500 hours of flight time.

Chris