Never too old to start.... or is it?

So I’ve been through the ATP program back in 2006-7. I’ve attained all my ratings minus ATP (Should have before the 1500-hour BS). After finishing, I decided to stick with my LE career from which I finally retired after 23 years in 2017. I’ve amassed a measly 700 +/- hours but ended up ceasing flying for a number of years. Many life-changing events have happened since and the flying bug has bitten very hard at 54 years old. I refuse to sit on my butt and think, “Is it too late?” I’d rather get back in it, enjoy it for as long as I can, and know that I did what I could.

What do I need: Currency

What do I want to do: Teach and Part 135 flying.

I’ve emailed ATP in an effort to see if there was some way to get back in, get current, and maybe teach somewhere. I’m only 40 minutes from Nashville and am there all the time.

Just looking for a path to currency and flying again…

Let the tips pour in… please!

TIA

Tia,

First off just to clarify, you’ve always needed 1500hrs for your ATP. The change is that you now need your ATP to fly for an airline where in the past you only needed your CPL.

As for the rest, as you’re aware you need to get current and then build the rest of your hours. You can of course check with ATP but I don’t see them giving you a slot. There are literally hundreds of freshly minted ATP CFIs in the pipeline who have priority over you (as they should).

Getting current shouldn’t be hard but hopefully you didn’t let your CFIs lapse. If you did then you’ll need to take another checkride to get it back but the others are just simply a matter doing some flying. The industry is booming so it might be easier to find a 135 job but again they’re going to need to see some flying.

Adam

Tia,

The 1,500 hour rule is not BS, it has directly led to one of the safest periods we have had in US aviation ever.

I do not think that ATP will be willing to offer you an instructor position. At this point much has changed since you did your training and there are many new qualified CFIs looking for jobs.

I would visit some local flight schools and talk to them about needing a CFI. I do think that you will run into similar issues at just about any school.

Chris

Tia,

Your first priority is absolutely getting current. I’d visit your local flight school and get up with a CFI to refresh your maneuvers, TOLs and emergency procedures. Then when you’re ready take a BFR for your VFR skills. Then head back up with a CFII and get proficient in your instrument flying skills and take an IPC.

From there you can explore renewing your CFI, getting a low time part 135 job, etc.

Hannah

1 Like