New career path

Francisco,

I have posted the definitions of accidents and incidents below. If something happens and it is not your fault, then you should be fine. However, the FAA usually finds a way to blame the pilots somehow.

§ 830.2 Definitions.

As used in this part the following words or phrases are defined as follows:

Aircraft accident means an occurrence associated with the operation of an aircraft which takes place between the time any person boards the aircraft with the intention of flight and all such persons have disembarked, and in which any person suffers death or serious injury, or in which the aircraft receives substantial damage. For purposes of this part, the definition of “aircraft accident” includes “unmanned aircraft accident,” as defined herein.

Civil aircraft means any aircraft other than a public aircraft.

Fatal injury means any injury which results in death within 30 days of the accident.

Incident means an occurrence other than an accident, associated with the operation of an aircraft, which affects or could affect the safety of operations.

Francisco,

Fortunately there are no “common” accidents or incidents because accidents and incidents aren’t common.

That said any infraction could affect you getting hired. Further I’m not sure what you mean by “caused by others” or how you think ATC would cause you to have one? What I’m hearing is you don’t really get the concept of being a pilot.

Everyone is all stoked there’s this pilot shortage and envisioning themselves flying jets around the planet making the big bucks. There’s a reason why there’s are multiple oral, practical and written exams and requirement to obtain 1500hrs of experience. Flying is serious business and the burden of safety falls on YOU. If ATC, another pilot or whatever else you’re imagining is involved YOU’RE still responsible for mitigating, managing, or trapping that threat the hopefully preventing an undesired aircraft state (ie, an accident or incident).

That’s not to say things can’t happen nor is an accident or incident automatically a career killer. What would be is starting off with “it wasn’t my fault”…?

Adam

Thanks @Chris

Thanks @Adam

It’s just a question. And I’m making these questions because I would like to GET one day what being a pilot is.

Sorry if they are too basic. If I don’t ask I won’t learn.

Francisco,

I apologize if I offended you or implied your question was “too basic”. That was not my intent. Honestly I was just surprised that you seemed surprise the airlines would ask about your “flying record” (same as if you were going for a truck or bus driving job they would ask about your driving record). The thing is airplane accidents are far less common and that is largely in part due to the amount is training required and the FAA oversight. That, and the fact you have hundreds of lives in your hands make your history all the more important.

Please feel free to ask any and all.

Adam

1 Like

Francisco,

Accidents/incidents can take many forms. The hope is, you never come close to either one. The important lesson, take every flight from your very first with your instructor to your very last at 1500 hours seriously. Flying is an inherently risky activity to begin with. If you don’t learn to acknowledge and mitigate risks early on, something is bound to happen later. Safety culture is a learned task starting from making sure you’re always fit to fly, proper preflight of the airplane, to clear communication with ATC and surrounding traffic.

Hannah

Thanks @Hannah @Adam

Hi,

Can pilots wear vision glasses with UV protection? I’ve never used them and they told me that they change the tone when in sunlight

I went to have an eye exam to get my glasses ready for the AME visit.

Thanks

Francisco,

I don’t believe there’s any reg against it. I don’t wear glasses but tried a pair of sunglasses that transition years ago and I didn’t like it. The problem was they didn’t transition quickly enough.

Most of the pilots I know either wear contacts and sunglasses or have 2 pairs of prescription glasses. One clear the other for sun.

Adam

Francisco,

The issue comes with polarized lenses. Ones that are polarized tend to wash out the LCD screens in the cockpit. When I put a pair on, every screen in the 737 looks blank. The solution to this is to simply not buy sunglasses with polarized lenses.

Chris

Thanks. I’ll just keep these ones clear for now and then I’ll think about sunglasses.

Hi,

When we complete the 1500 hrs at ATP what’s the approximate total number of hours that we have of:

Cross-Country:
Night Flying:
PIC:
Instrument Time (actual or simulated in-flight, excludes simulator time):
Multi-engine (25hrs program) :

Thanks

Francisco,

The regulation for the required hours for the airline transport pilot certificate (ATP) can be found under 14 CFR 61.159. Below I’ve screenshotted (a) and (b) of the regulation as there is a bit more info underneath for other avenues such as second-in-command and flight engineer, etc.

The hours after completing ATP’s ACPP can vary depending on retraining or failed checkride(s), but a rough outline if my memory serves me well would be around:

Cross-Country: 70’s
Night: 10 (not counting the night landings under PIC)
PIC: 220’s
Instrument: 30-40
Multi-Engine: 25

I did a breakdown on another thread; I will see if I can find that.

Okay, I found the breakdown I did previously, but it was for the Credit Private 100-HR Multi-Engine program: Multi-Engine Add On Opinions - #10 by Brady. I am sure we can get a rough outline breakdown though “Zero-to-Hero” regular program.

Brady

Perfect thanks Brady

It would be great to have that breakdown in order to have an idea to which Part 135 jobs we could qualify once we finish the 1500hr. These are some examples that I was looking at yesterday:

NetJets

• 1,500 hours total flight time experience
  • 500 hours cross-country (>50 nm) flight time, or 200 hours with approved university R-ATP affidavit
  • 250 hours fixed-wing PIC
  • 100 hours of night flying, or 75 hours with ≥45 night takeoffs and landings
  • 75 hours of instrument time (actual or simulated in-flight, excludes simulator time)
  • 50 hours fixed-wing, multi-engine time

JSX

• 1200 hours of total flight time (1500 hours preferred)
  • 250 hours PIC including 100 hours cross country and 25 hours night
  • 75 hours instrument actual/simulated
  • 50 hours multi-engine (100 hours preferred)

Francisco,

There are many Part 135 jobs out there and most don’t require 1500hrs, as that’s not an FAA requirement. Thing is unlike the airlines, most require you to live close to their base (unless they do home basing).

Long short while ATP has some 135 agreements, you’re best served searching on your area.

Adam

I can’t chime in on JSX as my main contact there has left for the majors some time ago, but as far as NetJets is concerned, the minimums that you see are just what the company is looking for as an interview requirement. We do not have preferred/competitive minimums and my new hire class had the full range from 10,000+ hours of turbine time to brand new ATPs with no jet time. First things first, NetJets is not a strict Part 135 operator. Most of our operations are actually carried out under 91k with some 135 sprinkled in the midst. NetJets places a lot of weight on CRM, personality and adaptivity in addition to the ATP mins as your flying qualification. Unlike the airlines, you are the face of the company with those whom you carry on your aircraft. You do everything from loading the bags and doing the safety briefing to resolving any issues that come up on short notice. So if your intent is to go somewhere where you can just turn left upon getting into the airplane, shut the door and leave the cabin to the cabin crew, this is not the place (at least until you get to the large cabin fleet). The vast majority of business jet operators will have a similar set of responsibilities.

1 Like

Thanks Sergey

The information you provide is very helpful. With my question I wanted to know if the ATP mins (after the 1500 hr) where enough to be called for an interview at this type of operators.

As you can see, with the hours Brady posted it’s not enough to cover the minimums required by NetJets. But you said that you have seen recent ATP grads in NetJets. Then I suppose they are flexible in their requirements.

By “fresh ATPs” I meant people with new ATP ratings. Not ATP grads specifically. NetJets mins are ATP mins so once you finish your hours, the ATP-CTP course, and take the ATP written—you qualify for the interview. If you’re trying to find an easier softer way to avoid building hours as a CFI, this isn’t it. This is a career destination

Not at all. I will repeat it again: I wanted to know with how many hours of PIC, Cross-country, night flight, instrument, ME, etc you end up after you finish the 1500hr at ATP (that means working as a CFI). Brady already responded to me and I already know the answer.

Thanks,