New Job

Can’t agree or disagree to that. I was one of the last self-paced options ATP had before discontinuing that option. I worked full time as a police officer and did Flight training about 3-4 days a week weather and job permitting. I took 17 months to go from “zero to hero”. This right now is pretty fast to me.

If I could post a pic of my hotel room you might laugh. There’s tons of hand drawn schematics for the fuel, pneumatic, and electrical systems strew about b/c I have to draw them by memory for the tests. The walls are covered with giant sheets of paper with acronyms, limitations, V speeds, QRC memory items, flows, and the paper tiger of the cockpit. I’ve been here three weeks and the tv in my room has never been turned on. Eat, breath, dream Airline mode for now.

5 Likes

That’s a cool story Arthur :blush: Good for you for making it this far. The self-paced program is hard to complete.

Tory

1 Like

2 weeks of Indoc? Wow! Glad it’s going well.

Adam

1 Like

Yeah, wish systems was as long as indoc was!

Check ride completed on the 3rd. I’m officially an airline pilot and off to start IOE on the 12th.

2 Likes

Woohoo! No pics of the new uniform?

Adam

1 Like

6 Likes

Uniform had to go back in for alterations after my final fitting but there are my wings!

1 Like

Congratulations! Emjoy the new job and thanks for the update.

Chris

1 Like

Finished IOE last Wednesday, picked up an extra trip on Thursday before going home. It’s been a great adventure and ATP helped me get there.

!

2 Likes

Arthur,

That is awesome. Good work and congratulations!

Chris

1 Like

This chapter of the dream has ended as of midnight on 03-26-18 when Great Lakes Airlines ceased flight operations and furloughed all of us pilots. It was a great trip and a lot of fun. No regrets. On to the next challenge…

Arthur,

I read that last night. Always sad when an airline shuts down, particularly one that’s been around for decades. The good news is everyone is hiring and you’re certain to be flying again soon.

Good luck sir.

Adam

1 Like

Arthur,

I am so sorry to hear that, it has to be a really tough experience to go through. That being said, there is massive hiring going on now, so hopefully it won’t take you long.

Chris

1 Like

I will tell you and everyone else that may read this that the outpouring of support from across the industry has been amazing. I haven’t seen support like this since I was in the military. I’m getting so many phone calls, text messages, facebook messenger alerts that my phone almost has to be on the charger constantly. Something will come up more long term but in the meantime the dealer I used to ferry planes for called me as soon as he heard the news and offered me a job (temporary while I’m looking or permanent if I want) with a pay raise from what he was paying me before.

Arthur,

You have a good outlook on the situation. This is an unfortunate event in your career, but it is not all bad. You already have another offer and that’s great. Please keep us informed of your career path.

Tory

1 Like

Arthur,

There’s an old saying that you’re not a “real” airline pilot until you’ve been furloughed, downgraded, merged, shutdown or some other unpleasant career event. Fortunately you got yours out of the way early so congrats! :slight_smile:

Adam

1 Like

True! Hopefully it’s the last time :slight_smile:

I’ll be out in Hawaii in June for about seven days. If we bump in to each other I’ll get the first round.

I was a little nervous when I first learned I was being furloughed but the support from the industry quickly took the fear away and I knew I’d be okay. Not sure whats behind the next door but when I find it I’ll go crashing through it like the Kool Aid man used to do.

Let me know.

Adam

1 Like