New student questions!

Good afternoon,

I have a 2 questions regarding ATPs schools.

1. I am a commuter flight attendant for Spirit airlines and I am looking into the flex Airline Program. My question is since I live in Atlanta but Im based in Fort Lauderdale would it be possible to have access to both schools in both states whether it being flying or studying?

and for my 2nd question

1. how long does it take to get approved by SallieMae before being able to select a class date? and how long after you’re approved can you choose a Class start date?

Thank you!

Shannen,

Welcome to the forum, let’s get to your questions:

1. No, you will need to concentrate all of your flight training into one location. I suspect this would be true of any flight school. You need to have familiarity with the local area, the instructors and consistency in training. Frequently switching locations would not allow for that.

2. We recommend applying for financing about ninety days prior at a minimum, hopefully longer.

3. Once you are approved, you can secure a start date as soon as you place your deposit down.

Chris

Shannen,

Chris answered your questions but i just wanted to chime in with a few thoughts. First off even if you could, you really want as much consistency as possible in your flight training, particularly in the beginning and splitting your training would most definitely work against you.

Second much of the ATP curriculum relies heavily on self study which you can do anywhere (home, base, on layovers, etc).

If you live in ATL chances are that’s where you should be training.

Adam

Welcome Shannen,
You will need to choose just one location to do your flight training. You want some consistency with your instructor, the airplane, the location and airspace. When it comes to your studying, that is all virtual and able to travel with you. There will be modules you need to complete with king schools online, plus test prep that is done in study prep apps and all your textbooks have digital versions as well. We recommend you quit your job and go fast track. However, we recognize that’s not an option for everyone. If not, the flex program will be your best option. You can use time on your layovers to stay ahead of the studying.
-Hannah

1 Like

Shannen,

Others already had perfect answers for your first question, but as for your second, I am a current ATP student and just went through the loan process so here’s the run down.

I applied, and they gave me an instant answer on approval. Then the “school certification” starts, and that takes awhile. Took 5 weeks to get the loan certified, then you’ll get phone calls from headquarters asking about your training location and selecting a class date.

I had to wait another 6 weeks after loan certification for my class date. You can pay your $995 class date deposit yourself, or they can take it out of the loan. Your first day at ATP will also be the first Sallie Mae disbursement.

Hope that helps,
Lucas

1 Like

Lucas,

Thank you for adding your insights here, it is much appreciated.

Chris

Welcome, Shannen!

I don’t much else to add to what has already been said. I just wanted to add my support to your post to let you know that I am also here to help answer any questions that you may have.

What I want to know is which program are you considering? Full-time really is best if you can manage. Just curious if you’ve thought about it is all?

Tory

Hi Shannen,

Welcome to the Forum!

1. Mimicking the others, you will need to conduct training at the same location.

2. The actual approval process is quick - between 1-3 days or so. New programs start every single Monday pending availability. As an example, the next available class date as of now is April 4th and beyond.

Hope this helps!
Addison