Newbie questions!

Hi All,

First time poster yet long time lurker on this page. Thinking about starting ATP at RDU in the near future and have a couple of questions.

Firstly, I am a British Citizen currently living in North Carolina while I await my permanent residency (green card). Unfortunately due to Covid this is understandably back logged and consequently I can not commit/put a deposit down on a start date with ATP. I also understand that permanent residents need to go through additional TSA checks which will add more time on to my timeline.

Given the above, I currently with no legal right to work here have nothing but time on my hands and therefore could study for all written exams without problem. When researching this I understand I would need to be endorsed by ATP/someone similar to take a written exam is this correct? Assuming it would not be possible to get this until I commit to a start date with ATP?

Another (somewhat foolish) question is if you are a CFI building hours and the student is predominantly flying the plane that still counts towards your hours is that correct?

Lastly, I understand this will be situational/location dependent but what can I expect a typical class size to be like?

Thanks in advance and I look forward to any feedback given.

Josh

I should also mention that I have undertaken a couple of hours of flights in the UK previously and loved it. Furthermore, I have been fortunate enough to make some shrewd investments in my prior career to not need a loan and I will be self funding this myself.

Thanks

Welcome, Josh!

Yes you would, but you would actually be able to receive the endorsements prior to enrollment. Check out the instructions here: Take Your FAA Knowledge Tests Before Starting ATP / ATP Flight School

Yep! Not a foolish question at all. Understanding how to log flight time correctly is very important. Speaking of logbooks, I recommend LogTen Pro whenever you get to that point in your flight training. Paper logbooks are also fine, but if you were to look at almost anyone’s paper logbook you’ll find plenty of corrections in them. I’ve had to amend mine a few times. Not fun.

For that, I actually don’t know RDU’s typical student load. @Addison will be able to answer that for you when she gets back into the office, but ATP does do a good job of maintaining an appropriate number of students to instructor ratio at all locations.

Tory

1 Like

Josh,

Tory answered your questions, I’ll just add a point or 2.

Written Tests: you can also obtain written test endorsements from whichever study materials provider you choose to go with. Most simply require proof of 2-3 successful practice tests and they’ll send you the endorsement. Also please keep in mind the written exams are only valid for 24mos. During that time you must take the associated practical exam or they expire so if you think there might be further delays, you might want to wait on at least the later exams.

As far as class size goes ATP doesn’t really have traditional classes and as Tory pointed out the instructor/student ratio is consistent regardless of location.

Adam

Hi @Tory @Adam ,

Thank you both for your responses. Thanks for the 24 months reminder I did see that and now just need to figure out when is best to start studying so as to not pass an exam only for it to expire and retake it.

As a cfi I saw on another thread that ATP has them as subcontractors. With that in mind if working as cfi at atp would there be opportunity for time off (assuming unpaid obviously)? Reason I ask is I am a long way from home and would like the chance to visit home at some point post ATP start date.

Thanks,

Josh

1 Like

Josh,

That’s really a question for admin. I don’t think a vacation is out of the question but it would need to be coordinated with your student load. Imagine you just invested $85k in the program, it’s a week before your Instrument checkride, you’re still shaky on a few things and your instructor informs you sorry, I’m going on vacation next week. Thinking you wouldn’t be too excited.

Adam

Adam,

Understood, I’m sure you wouldn’t be too excited. Conversely, I can imagine the CFI who also paid $85k for the program (and worked their behind off) to be in that position would appreciate some time off in a near 3 year time period. I’m sure burn out could become a possibility if not.

Appreciate the response.

Josh

Josh,

The student who paid $85k and completed the program got the service they paid for. You are no longer a customer, you’re working and getting paid by ATP. The instructor portion is a privilege, not a right, and not part of the training portion of the program. The positions are highly regarded and sought after as they are also a gateway to many of the Regional partnership programs. By far the majority of pilots are most interested in working as hard as they can to build their time as quickly as they can and sometimes even need to be told to take a day or 2.

If you’d really like a break or need one, in most cases IF you’re offered a position you’ll usually have a couple of weeks before your start instructing. Beyond that again you’d need to talk to admin but the students needs will come first.

Adam

1 Like

Josh,

Welcome to the Forum!!

Tory and Adam answered your questions, but I did want to address student class sizes.

Keep in mind that we have new students starting every Monday at all locations. That being said, you could be one of five students starting one week or the only student starting. The majority of your training will be one-on-one with your instructor (flight time, sim time, etc.), but you will also have ground school via Elevate twice a week with those that started training around the same time as you. All of this to say, class sizes (as far as those starting simultaneously) will vary based on demand at a location. ATP will place more instructors and aircraft if needed, and we strive to maintain a 2-to-1 or 3-to-1 student to instructor ratio at all locations.

If you haven’t already, we would love to have you out to the local facility to meet some of our students and instructors! Feel free to contact admissions at 904-595-7950, and we would be happy to set it up.

Addison

Hi Addison,

Thanks for chiming in with that information. Very useful. I knew class sizes would of course vary but thanks for the explanation. I will look to call admissions and go for a tour shortly.

Thanks a lot,

Josh

1 Like

Hi All,

A further question. As mentioned above I am aware that when I get my permanent residency I will need to complete the TSA check prior to starting ATP. My question is does anyone know if I would be able to take the written tests (no flight lessons) prior to receiving clearance from TSA or do I have to wait until that is clear to do writtens too?

Thanks in advance,

Josh

Josh,

To the best of my knowledge you do not. It’s only to do actual flight training but I would contact the FAA to be certain.

Adam