Old Timers Unite!

So last June a bill (S.4607 Let Experienced Pilots Fly Act) was introduced to raise the retirement age for airline pilots from 65 to 67. Sadly it died pretty quickly, but due to recent events (airline meltdowns and scary near misses) the bill has been reintroduced with bipartisan support.

People have varying opinions on the subject (most of which are based on our own selfish needs. Myself included), but to me the answer is very simple. Those of us who would like to keep flying should be able to (provided we can maintain our medical), those who don’t, just don’t. Simple.

If you’re one of the 912,411 perspective pilots who have asked “am I too old?” or “is it worth it at my age?”, perhaps another couple of years at the top pay scale could make the difference. If so, I urge you to write your Senator and express your thoughts.

Adam

4 Likes

Adam,

Over the last nineteen years we have disagreed on many things:

1. Flight case stickers - argument made invalid by switching to iPads
  2. New York “pizza” v. Chicago pizza - Chicago is the only one worth eating
  3. Diet Coke v. Coke Zero - Coke Zero actually tastes like Coca-Cola
  4. Bose v. all other headsets - I readily concede that you were right on this.
  5. Breitling wrist sized E6Bs v. all other Swiss watches - The Alpha Tango invalidated this argument as it is the new premier aviation watch

Through all of these disagreements I have still managed to consider you a friend, although I use the term lightly. But this has pushed me over the edge. I am now forced to put you back in the acquaintance column. This is just a step too far.

Hang up your spurs when you turn 65 and go surf, go play with the grand kids. Heck, teach them how to fly. We will have had our moment in the sun, it will be time to turn it over to a new generation of pilots, guys that won’t have sudden cardiac arrests inflight.

Chris

2 Likes

Chris,

I still consider you a friend (silly and misguided though you may be).

The facts are these, I don’t play golf or fish and (don’t tell my son), flying is more fun than my granddaughter (though I’m optimistic for the future). Further (and I mean no disrespect) but I’ve seen your UA pilots when I JS and many of your BMI challenged brethren are MUCH closer to experiencing pain radiating to the left side of their bodies than I’ll ever be.

In short all I’m saying is (and I’ll borrow a current popular phrase) “you do you”

https://v16m-default.tiktokcdn-us.com/eec820db7ab800dae4555b6777572d41/641e24a0/video/tos/useast5/tos-useast5-pve-0068-tx/4b31be8183e1411bb572aff8612c93f4/?a=1988&ch=0&cr=0&dr=0&lr=tiktok_m&cd=0|0|1|0&cv=1&br=3234&bt=1617&cs=0&ds=3&ft=_G6uMBnZq8ZmoSVoJc_vjYK8sAhLrus&mime_type=video_mp4&qs=0&rc=aDpmPGg6Z2Y3NmdoaGVoZkBpM2ZuNzc6Zjo5aDMzZzczNEBjYi4yLTVjNWIxNi1gNGJiYSM1LWk2cjQwNmlgLS1kMS9zcw%3D%3D&l=2023032416301720DADD87E5266C18E434

I am so confused by that video, but I now see why Tik Tok should be banned in the US.

3 Likes

The question is wouldn’t you rather have my old crusty butt up there and I think we know the answer :wink:

Adam

1 Like

You raise a very valid point.

Hence why you keep me around :slight_smile:

Adam

Your good natured ribbing/banter is one of highlights of this forum. Here is to hoping Captain Dave continues to spread wisdom well past his sunset years. Thanks guys.

1 Like

A day later and I still can’t believe Adam referenced a TikTok video in this thread… I can safely say that I have NEVER downloaded TikTok on any of my devices and I will not. :no_good_man:

Brady

2 Likes

Further proof you can teach an old dog new tricks!

Adam

Captain Dave was the best. It was too bad that he only made it one season.

1 Like

Ask any of my FOs and they’ll confirm Capt Dave is alive and well and living in Hawaii! :wink:

Adam

1 Like

Just filled out my ALPA call to action on this. Sent letters to my Congressman and both Senators.

So did I not I’m pretty sure our letter l letters are different.

Adam