What do you guys think of the retirement age increasing to 67?

Saw on the news that the House passed age 67 and I was wondering what the pilots here thought of it. Is it popular at your airlines?

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4107729-house-approves-faa-reauthorization-bill/

Unrelated, but I got an ATP class date for September and I am super excited to start! I remember asking questions here when I was in high school so thanks for all your help guys and gals.

Moustafa,

Welcome back to the forum, September is not far away, have you started any writtens or ATP Orientation modules?

Retirement at 67 - This is an everyday topic in all airlines, crew rooms, flight decks, and I’m sure airline thread out there…

Brady

I’ve been using Sportys to prepare for the PAR which I hope to take soon. I’ve also been reading thru the tons of books ATP sent me in the mail. Lots to learn.

Moustafa,

This is a fairly hot topic amongst pilots. Long short older pilots (like myself) want it because we want the ABILITY to keep doing what we love as long as we’re able (the reason I highlight the word ability is because many who argue against it argue “what if I don’t want to work to 67” which is ridiculous. No one is saying you have to). Younger pilots are against because they want us old crusties out so they can gain seniority.

The fact is this, pilots are required to pass a First Class Medical every 6mos and as long as they can, there is actually zero evidence to support any claims that it impacts safety.

Adam

1 Like

Thanks for your insight!

Moustafa,

Glad to se you come back on the forum. Thank you for the followup and letting us know that you signed up for a start date. Get working on those writtens!

Chris

1 Like