Older age, good health, but no bachelor's degree what future, if any do I have becoming a Airline pilot

I’m 47 years old, last FAA Medical I had I was First Class qualified good health. I also was unable to attain a Bachelor’s degree but I went to school for Airframe and Power plant training which I completed with 63 credits. What future do I have, if any of becoming a Airline pilot? I have flight time logged meager amount, worked on F-14 fighter jets as a jet engine mechanic in the Navy, but professional pilot was my dream I had difficulty attaining.

Adrian,

At 47 you really don’t need a Bachelor’s degree. Reason being while Major airlines want a degree, Regionals do not and at your age chances are you’d never make it there anyway. So it really comes down to the question of would you be happy flying for a Regional? While I am a Capt at a Major I honestly had a wonderful time flying at a Regional and had I never made it that would’ve been fine. So if you’re dream is to be a Delta Capt flying an A350 to Paris that’s not going to happen, degree or not. But if you wouldn’t mind flying a really nice RJ all across North America, making around $100k then that’s definitely obtainable.

Adam

Thank you Adam that’s very assuring. Unfortunately I didn’t have a supportive family about my career dream, they would not co-sign for me at a flight academy I checked out. It sure would be a shame and waste with all the aeronautical knowledge I have attained and not put it to use. I have even taken Military Flight Aptitude test and scored high. Thank you Adam flying a regional jet would be enough to make my dream hopefully come true.

Adrian,

I think you have a very decent shot at getting a position with a regional airline. I think the majors are most likely out of the question. Keep in mind that while all of your A&P knowledge is impressive, there will be very little correlation to flying airplanes. They are two very different fields. I would not waste any time in getting started with your training.

Chris

Thank you Adam, as I had mentioned don’t have a very supportive family so they would not co-sign for me, if I don’t get approved for funding at ATP, well I’ll just have to accept that my dream was not meant to come true. Taking flight lessons at an airport just won’t cut it. Thank you again.

Adrian,

While I appreciate your “destiny” theory, respectfully sometimes you have to fight for the things you want. I had ZERO support (everyone thought I was crazy. I had virtually no aviation experience prior to ATP). Maybe it means tightening up and saving for a couple of years? Maybe trying to convince your family you’re serious? Maybe it won’t ever happen. I believe what haunts us most is not trying our all then pondering what might have been…

Adam

Well Adam I got the news, I didn’t get approved for the loan I guess it wasn’t meant to be, :sob:but God chose you to fly you should be honored, thank you once again and be safe. If you ever get a chance to let me sit in the jumpseat, send me email​:grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Adrian,

I am honored and thankful everyday. Unfortunately since 9/11 only pilots (and certain other airline employees) are allowed upfront.

Adam

I can appreciate the responses from the pros here, trying to manage expectations. But the truth is no one can predict where your career will go.

I was an avionics guy most of my adult life. I was contracting overseas and talked about it with some pilot friends. I was 50 at the time. They gave me pretty much the same response you received.

Long story short, I started training at 52. At 56 I’m a 777 FO. I didn’t follow the same path as most did. I believe my different choices and some very fortunate events (which actually seemed like disasters at the time) were responsible. Nothing would’ve happened though had I never started the journey.

Financing is tough, but the best way to eat an elephant is one bite at a time.

Duane,

777 FO in 4yrs is pretty amazing so kudos (I am curious who you’re flying for and you don’t say if you have a degree or not? ). That said everybody knows a guy who knows a guy who did this or that. While you’re absolutely correct no one can predict the future, we’re about giving people real world expectations. If those are exceeded that’s fantastic but it could just as easily go the other way.

Adrian asked if he’s got a future as an airline pilot? Becoming a Regional pilot at his age with no degree is not only possible, it’s probable. Anything beyond that the odds go down significantly.

Again major kudos for your success and I appreciate you’re sharing your thoughts but as you say you had some “very fortunate events”.

Adam

1 Like

Thank you I appreciate uplift, no pun intended, stay safe out there.

Really happy for you Diane, wow 777 great aircraft really like those Liquid crystal displays EFIS and EICAS.

Hi Adam,
Currently I have an associates degree and I’m actively working on my bachelors. I fly for Southern Air and I’m CVG based.

I totally understand managing expectations. That’s what my friends did for me. But, once I started the journey things I never imagined materialized.

Duane,

Kudos again. I’m not that familiar with Southern but I have many friends at Atlas. While they’re definitely doing some cool flying, I’m not really sure i could handle the schedule.

Btw if your’s have Pratts you may be getting a few days off! https://boeing.mediaroom.com/news-releases-statements?item=130829&sf243254140=1

Adam

Adam I can’t express how grateful I am that things worked out both good and bad. The “Triple” has always been a dream aircraft. I was at Edwards AFB during part of its test program. Thankfully Southern has GE engines!

Thats an amazing career transition. Care to share how you got there so quickly?