Age 33/Starting from ground zero

Hi friends!

I have to say, I read a few posts in the forums here and have gained a lot of knowledge. Adam and Chris seem super helpful and very honest, which I can appreciate. I have logged a few flight hours, but essentially I am starting fresh at my ripe old age. I am currently a medic, but with that said I have no bachelor’s. I am well aware I will need to acquire that before joining a major. I did have a few questions that I am hoping you all may have a moment for.

1. Is it a possibility to finish a bachelor’s degree while building hours as a CFI?

2. Is 33 way too old to hope to make it flying commercially/for a major?

I realize I am much above the ideal age, but I am wondering if I should set out to only do regional (which let’s be honest, would be amazing even still) or if I have a real shot at doing more with the career.

I am still new and naive, but I believe my passion and dedication will be strong in this career. Thought I would reach out to the experts for some advice and guidance. Thanks in advance for your time and responses.

Jenn,

If you read more than a few posts (including the FAQs) you probably would’ve found your answers but here’s a quick couple to help.

1. Not if you’re instructing for ATP. Just as ATP students are required and need to be available and able to train all day every day so are their instructors (that’s only fair). Now if you want to instruct part-time or weekends at your local flight school then sure you can work, go to school, whatever. That said at 33 (while you’re not old) I wouldn’t recommend dragging things out any longer than necessary and really why would you? The Regionals don’t require a BA so why not wait till you’re flying for one? You’ll be making more money, you can get credit for all your licenses and ratings (including your shiny new ATP) and most Regional FO’s have lots of downtime. I’d wait.

2. 33 is actually the average age of most pilots starting out. While you probably will never be Senioirty #1 at a legacy carrier, you absolutely can have a very nice career as an airline pilot including being a Capt at a Major.

Adam

2 Likes