Other ways to get your hours?

I have spoken with a few pilots, pilots in training, and schools… Still gathering information so please forgive me if this comes out in any way negative. It’s not my intention, I am purely exploring my options.

Regarding the CFI job, the total cost of ATP’s training program, and require hours… Why did those of you who have done so, choose ATP and choose to get your hours as an instructor rather than another route? I’ve heard about other options and I’m just curious.

Thanks,
Tim

Tim,

If you read any of the mentors profiles and the FAQ section we give a variety of reasons why we chose ATP and recommend others do so as well. As for myself it was simple. After doing my research there was no faster, more cost efficient route and ATP was one of the only flight schools in the country that had agreements with Regionals airlines. But you see it wasn’t just about the relationships, it was the REASONS for the relationships that mattered.

Right now the country is experiencing a huge pilot shortage. The airlines need bodies and whether you train with ATP or Bob’s Bar, Grill and Flight School, as long as you have the licenses rating and 1500hrs you will get hired. Back when I did my training this was not the case. There was no shortage and there were a lot more pilots than slots. Just getting an interview was a big deal. Now getting hired is one thing, passing airline training is another. ATP had established themselves as a school that modeled their training off actual airline training (the founders were all airline Capts). More important the Regionals noticed that the ATP grads were successfully completing training while others were not. It was for that reason ATP was able to get preferential hiring and reduced minimums for their students. Now as I said those days are gone and everyone is getting hired which is great. Problem is the Regionals are experiencing the highest washout rates they’ve ever seen. Why? Because given enough time most people can eventually get through airplane training. The airlines don’t allow you to take your time. The program is fixed and you either sink or swim. Same for ATP. While it might not always be fun and it can be stressful, it works.

As for being an instructor it is by far the most common route people take. You ask why not do something else? The question then becomes like what? There really aren’t a whole lot of flying jobs out there (other than instructing) for low time pilots. Sure there are some but again not many. The other reason is instructing is excellent for honing your pilot skills. You see again it’s not just about getting hired it’s about getting through training. There’s no question putting on a pilot’s uniform and slinging gear in a lear jet is cooler than instructing but it’s not doing a thing for your skills and when it comes time to train that will be immediately apparent. But at least you got to wear the epaulets for a little while :wink:

Adam

Tim,

I chose to instruct at ATP because it was and still is a very respected flight school. I knew that airlines would look highly upon my time there and five that consideration when interviewing me. In fact, even when I was hired at Continental Airlines my time at ATP was a discussion point in the interview process.

Chris

Tim,

Instructing is the best way to build time because it forces you to keep learning and maximizes retention. Other low time pilot jobs are restricted to day VFR conditions with little or no diversity.

I decided to teach at ATP because I had just finished the program. The transition was easy. I accepted the relatively low pay for the temporary post that I never intended to make a career out of. ATP offers a diverse flight training platform and access to the most part 121 and 135 connections than any other school. Also, the fast-paced syllabus eased the transition into the regionals.

Tory