Over weight

Hello everyone,

Do overweight pilot get hired by airline or is there some sort of bias against them. So I am 5-5 and 205 lbs ,. I am training and spending slots of money as everyone dose it on flight training. I feel like things are stacked against me since I am over weight, age 46 and have diabetes 2 with class 1 medical. Please give your opinions and experience as well as expertise in this matter.

Thanks

Manish,

As long as you’ve got your First Class Medical the airlines will hire you. Your main concern should be keeping that medical. Aside from the diabetes simply by your height and weight your AME could require you to test for sleep apnea and you could get grounded for that.

I’m sure I’m not telling you anything you don’t know but while getting hired is great, keeping that job is more important.

Adam

Manish,

I have seen many over weight issues. I would strongly urge you to work on the weight though. I used to be large myself, it takes a lot of hard work, but weight loss can happen.

Chris

Adan thank you very much for you feedback/ perspective. I am working on over all health.

Thank you Chris,. I am slowly but surely changing whole life style of mine. Eating healthy, working out and taking care of overall health. So hopefully I can get back here in few months and give you guys some positive news

1 Like

Manish,

Sounds like a plan. Just so you know, I still struggle with the weight and food choices. I find myself constantly having to think about what I eat and always wanting to eat more than I should. It is a battle that you can win, but that never ends.

Chris

1 Like