Pathway Advice and Schooling Options

Dear All, I am a high school senior, and have really started to delve into all the options surrounding a career in aviation and truly aspiring to become a commercial pilot. Coming from a college based family I have been pushed greatly to attend 4 year university in hopes to receive a BS or BA and have excelled hoping to get into top schools across country. I have always had a knack for the business aspect of things, however over past few years started to admire the perseverance and lifestyle of pilots. My dilemma is that I have applied for Economics to many schools, and have gotten early admissions to top schools as Notre Dame, USC, etc. My question to you guys is, how necessary or not necessary are 4 year degrees, in hopes to become a commercial airlines pilot? I have done lots of research and have observed ATP flight schools are the way to go. Would I be too late to go into ATP school post 4 year degree at your traditional University? Thanks for feedback!

3 Likes

Nash,

Firstly, congrats on getting into those top schools. I would highly recommend you go have fun, work hard, and get your four year degree at one them. Preferably, I’d suggest the one that offers the best financial assistance. While it may not be a requirement at all airlines to have a four year degree, you won’t be as competitive without one. I can assure you that the major airlines will take someone with a degree vs someone without one. And all it takes is another economic turn or a COVID 2.0 for airlines to make it a requirement again. In addition, if flight training doesn’t work out, you would have a degree to fall back on. Going to college will also help improve your study habits and ability to work hard and live independently. Flight training is not incredibly difficult material-wise, but it takes a lot of self discipline and maturity to successfully make it through. College will help you with both of those.

To give you context, I did a four year degree in engineering and when I graduated I went straight to flight training. I don’t think I would have been as successful in flight training without that four years of experience, and now I have an engineering career to fall back on if something happens with my flying career (medical issues, economy, pandemic, etc…). So to answer your question, my recommendation would be to go get your 4 year degree in a field you enjoy, then do flight training after. ATP and other flight training programs will still be here when you are finished.

Roscoe

2 Likes

Dear Roscoe,
Thank you for your time in this thoughtful response! I definitely understand that aspect of maturing and rather than what you learn in college the habits, traits, and mentality that will help you tackle any challenge. I really appreciate this perspective as it is hard to find across the internet considering there is no “True Pathway” at least what I have come across so far. Another question I have is the in regards to the required hours. My understanding is that you complete ATP Flight Training than can go into any flight profession to fulfill hours. What routes do you believe are best post ATP school? For example I saw on United’s Website that they have students post flight school become instructors, than work as United’s Express Pilot (Regional Pilot) than transition to First Officer. What route did you take and from your experience with other pilots what would you say is the most efficient and beneficial route, if you could do it again etc. Thanks

Nash

Nash,

With most accelerated flight training programs, including ATP’s, you’ll finish with around 250 hours, a commercial single/multi engine certificate, and a flight instructor certificate, with instrument and multi engine instructor add ons. The most efficient and typical way to build hours afterwards is flight instructing. You will need 1500 total hours to qualify for an ATP (airline transport pilot) certificate (different from the flight school). So you would need to find a way to gain the additional 1250 hours to be eligible to work for an airline. As I mentioned previously, flight instructing is probably the most popular and efficient pathway. There is a steady flow of students who need training, and teaching is the best way to retain/gain more knowledge. The alternatives would be working as a skydive pilot, ferry pilot, banner towing, aerial tours, etc… Once you build more hours you could then move on to corporate flying. The trouble is that these jobs are very competitive and hard to find.

Once you near 1500 hours the options are typically to move onto a regional airline, like SkyWest, Envoy, Endeavor, and Republic, or if you are lucky, a low cost carrier, like Spirit or Frontier. The major airlines in the US, i.e Delta, American, United, will want to see some prior airline experience before hiring you, and they can be very selective. They are the ones that absolutely want to see a four year degree. It can take years and thousands of hours at an airline to even be considered at a major.

As for me, I instructed up to 1500 hours and now fly for a regional airline. I’d say that instructing is the most efficient and beneficial pathway, but there are plenty of pilots who have made it through other pathways. If you do some digging on the ATP flight school website, you’ll find a lot of this information, along with regional/airline partnerships, that will show you a rough pathway to your desired airline.

Roscoe

2 Likes

Nash,

While not required, all the airlines prefer pilots with 4yr degrees and should hiring tighten up it could easily become a requirement.

If you’ve done your research (as you say you have) why would you ever think you’d be “too late” for anything?

Adam

Adam,

I only referenced to “Too late” as in would I be at a disadvantage to others, I understand through more research this process cannot be rushed, was just simply reaching out to see other opinions from others!

Nash

Roscoe,

Wow, thanks for all this info! I find it very valuable to receive insights from those that have been through the process! Thank you for your detailed responses to my questions, very very much appreciated. Good luck on your path towards your career at a major airlines!

Nash

1 Like

Nash,

While you’re not training in peak time when airlines are hiring, airline hiring will continue to skyrocket as more senior pilots retire. I foresee the need of pilots continuing well into 2030 as articles have predicted, and contrary to all articles that try to argue the fact that there are enough pilots in the network, there is not.

Roscoe provided an extremely detailed outlook for training and building time, I respect that. There are hundreds of airlines in the U.S. domestic network, the opportunities and options will only continue to increase.

Brady

1 Like

Hi Nash,

I would recommend that you get your college degree while you’re young and still in “school mode,” but I would warn you not to chase after a prestigious school name if your goal is to become an airline pilot. My understanding is that for the airlines, it’s a check in the box. That said, if your passion is truly to fly planes for a living, get your degree at the school where you can get it done for the least amount of money. My career aspirations have been hampered by my going to a prestigious private school, since I came out buried in debt. You can’t become an airline pilot with a bunch of debt, since flight training costs a fortune. If your goal is to get into a prestigious career in Economics, then by all means, the pedigree can get your foot in the door with some big names, but the airlines (and most other employers for that matter) do not care where you got your degree from. Good luck!

Jake

1 Like

Jake,

I respectfully disagree, I am sure there have been circumstances with individuals acquiring a student loan for flight training after obtaining a 4-year degree. I was approved a loan with college and car debt, with my cosigner starting a new job and not having a “solid payment income,” I had some arguments that sparked the eye of the underwriting manager. I got approved, I’m an airline pilot. A simple conversation with an underwriter may change the outcome of approval/disapproval.

Brady

Hi Brady,

I’m not arguing that banks won’t give you the money, I’m arguing that that’s really not a good idea. Besides, you gain absolutely nothing by going into too much debt when all you need is a degree from anywhere.

Jake

Jake,

Everyone’s financial situations are different. Brady’s co-signer made a difference overcoming the previous debt he had. I started ATP a few years after college and had similar college debt from a great state school because flying wasn’t yet in the picture. I also required a co-signer but after getting to the regionals I refinanced and is now solely in my name.

True, the airlines don’t care where the degree is from as long as it’s from an accredited university. Don’t go google searching online only schools that promise a free degree… that’s where you can get in to trouble.

Hannah

2 Likes

That’s a good point, Hannah. I was just saying that paying extra-extra for an out-of-state private school is a great way to get very far behind in your life goals, when a public in-state school is a fraction of the cost with the same benefits.