Pilot living location

Hey guys I’m curious, are pilots required to live accordingly to the base of the airline they work for or how does that work? Is there a way or much time in which you can visit family in other parts of the country? I live currently in Harrisburg PA.

Grant,

One of the best perks of being an airline pilot is the fact you can literally live anywhere you like. I know pilots who commute from coast to coast, from Asia, Australia and Europe. The airline doesn’t care where you live AS LONG AS you show up for work on time and fit to fly. Commuting is a choice and it’s your responsibility to get yourself to your base. Pilots have the ability to “jumpseat” on most airlines (not just your own) so the cost is free but the logistics can be challenging. What that means is you can live, grow old and die living in Harrisburg if you so choose. Whether it’s easy or stressful getting to work is a different story.

Adam

2 Likes

Adam,

Thanks for the info.That is definitely a perk and I’m sure owning your own plane would make it easier.

Grant

Grant,

Probably not. Much easier to jump on a commercial flight but whatever works for you.

Adam

Adam,

Yea? I guess you could get some relax time before work that way… Will they penalize you if the flight you’re taking would be delayed? I’m assuming you would leave a day or two early for work and then stay at a hotel? I was just learning about how some pilots rent apartments near their base whenever they are on what is called standby I beleive.

Grant

Grant,

It’s called “reserve” and yes many pilots rent or share apts near the airport (commonly known as “crashpads”). As I said it’s your job to get to work on time and yes you can and will (and should) get in trouble for being delayed which is why crashpads are not just for Reserve. Pilots use them to get to work the night or day before or have a place to stay after a trip if they finish late.

Adam

1 Like

Grant,

Pilots can live anywhere in the world, as long they show up for work on time. I have lived in South Bend and Norfolk for my entire career, while working in Newark. We also routinely get 12-16 days off per month, so there is plenty of time for travel.

Chris

1 Like

Hello,
I’m new to aviation world and planing to go ATP next year. I am in upstate NY. The question is once I finish ATP and get hire by a airline will they tell me where my base is going to be? Or how does it work?

Mike,

The first thing you want to do is target Regionals that have bases at or near where you want to live. Obviously you have no chance of getting based somewhere the airline doesn’t have a base. When you get hired the airline will place you in the base where they need you. In most cases this will be the airlines most junior base. After you gain some seniority you can try and bid out of that base for one that’s more desirable by you. Unless of course you’re fortunate enough to want to be based somewhere that happens to be a junior base in which case you shouldn’t have any issues.

Adam

Mike,
Typically when you start training one of the first things you’ll do is bid for your base. Now you’re the lowest seniority at the company so you can reach for the stars and bid wherever you want but you’re most likely to get the most junior base (the base that needs the most pilots).
You can be proactive like Adam mentioned by picking a regional with bases you like and moving near one. Moving to a junior base you are more likely to live in base even right out of training or move to your ideal base and commute until you have the seniority to hold it.
-Hannah

Mike,

Adam and Hannah covered this well. I would point out that if your goal is to be based in NYC, meaning JFK, LGA, or EWR, you will probably have a pretty easy time getting to one of those bases. They tend to be rather junior bases at airlines, so if you want to work there, that is great news for you.

Chris

Thank you so much, Adam Hannah and Christ. You guys have answered a million questions for me.

Mike,

Anytime. Let us know how else we can help you.

Chris

In long term goals. I become a pilot and through the whole process. I have told many people about my goals about going to ATP and the first thing, people tell me is “do you know pilots get laid off all the time” What are you thoughts on that?

Mike,

My thoughts are they don’t and the “people” who say that need to stay in their lane. Last year the industry suffered one of the most crippling blows in history. Only 2 airlines furloughed and both brought all their pilots back within months.

There are also people who believe the Earth is flat and I flew with an FO a few weeks back who grew up in Hawaii and believed Hawaii has no bats. People are wrong alot.

Adam

1 Like

Mike,

I have been flying for sixteen years. I have seen furloughs, but they are incredibly rare and typically only happen in the worst financial situations. As Adam posted out, even covid did not lead to wide spread furloughs. I for one have never worried much about this.

Chris

Hello fellows,
So excited to say that I am planing in attending to ATP by the end of next year. Although I still have a million questions. I have my associates in science and will Im planing to get my bachelors in biology online while working for a regional. The questions is
Does bachelor required by the major airlines has to be in aviation or it can be anything?

Sincerely,

Mike.

Mike,

There was a very popular song a few years back “you can do whatever you like”. Same applies to the Majors. They want to see a degree and really don’t care the field of study. That said with an Associates degree and credit for your licenses and ratings you could get a Bachelors in Aviation really cheap and fast.

Just something to consider.

Adam

1 Like

Mike,

I know pilots that have degrees in everything from history to piano composition and everything in between, so no, the degree major does not matter. As Adam pointed out, it might make the most sense for you to get an aviation degree, I would check out Utah Valley University.

Chris