Pilots mental health medical

So I’m about to start the process of getting my FAA medical and I want to put my best foot forward. I’ve been doing my research and the only thing that has me concerned is, maybe 5 or 6 years ago, I was admitted into a psychiatric hospital for depression for like a week but have since changed my perspective around. Is this something that can be overcome or will be a hard no for the FAA?

Joseph,

First off, ONLY an AME (Aviation Medical Examiner) can answer that question for certain as EVERY case is different. That said you should collect as much info as you can for the admittance as the FAA will want it. The more you can provide, the easier time you’ll have.

Adam k

1 Like

Thank you Adam so my next question would be, what kind of information could I provide? Such as a doctors current analysis etc.

Joseph,

Again, I suggest you bring EVERYTHING you have on the subject and the AME will submit what is needed. Better to have things that the FAA doesn’t need than to not have what they want.

Adam

1 Like

currently going through this process - first thing you want is a CONSULT with an AME, preferably an HIMS AME where they can tell you your chances and what documents/evaluations you might need. assuming you’re not on any SSRIs, the least the FAA will need is a psychiatric/current status report up to a neuropsychological evaluation which gets really costly. DO NOT go in for a live exam until you’ve done a consult with an AME and you know exactly what documents and testing you need to complete at the bare minimum, it’ll save you a lot of time and money

1 Like

Joseph,

I would be prepared for a very lengthy process with the FAA. They take mental health very seriously and will have many questions.

Chris

Joseph,

Consult with a HIMS AME on what to bring, we are not aviation medical examiners, nor medical professionals… You really need to consult with a HIMS AME.

Brady