Prior drug use and a general discharge under honorable conditions

When I was 16 (2006) I got a ticket for MIP of tobacco, alcohol, and drug paraphernalia. In 2010 I was arrested for Public Intoxication, I took Benadryl and was the passenger in a car that got pulled over, that was dismissed after I explained to the DA what happened but I imagine I’ll still have to report that as well. As far as my discharge goes, long story short, my first sergeant walked in on me and my buddy smoking spice, this was back in 2011 when it was still readily available off base and they were looking to make examples of people, with that being said, I fully acknowledge that I was an idiot who made an incredibly poor decision. I wish I could say that was the worst part but my NCO talked me in to checking in to an inpatient rehab facility for 30 days because “it was my best chance of not getting chaptered”. Obviously, I will have to disclose my discharge and the situation that led to it. I have kept my nose clean since 2011, not so much as a parking ticket. Any chance I get my medical? If I do would an airline even consider me? Just want to see if it’s worth even starting this process. Thanks.

Kyle,

I simply cannot answer that question. You have a long history of substance abuse and the FAA will frown on that, as will the airlines.

As for the airlines, I can tell you that the airlines are full of former military pilots, all of whom have served honorably and had honorable discharges. I can imagine that most of them would be a hard pass on somebody who had the career in the military that you did.

Chris

2 Likes

Kyle,

I second Chris on this. Can you get a medical? Sure provided you’re clean now, but it will take a whole lot of time and money.

More important, while you say you “acknowledge you were an idiot”, all your explaining reads as a lack of responsibility and that would be a BIG thumbs down from me.

Adam

1 Like

Adam, thank you for your response and candor. You are right, it was a lack of responsibility but I’ve spent the last 10+ years being as responsible as I can. I’ve worked at the same company for almost 10 years, I own a home, pay my taxes, and stay out of trouble. Is there really no path to redemption?

Kyle,

Sometimes, there is not. Some acts follow us for the rest of our lives, I suspect this is one of them.

However, we are not the final word on this. I encourage you to contact the recruiting departments of several regional airlines and ask them directly.

Chris

2 Likes

If a regional said they would be able to look past my history would that be an indicator that a legacy carrier would be willing to as well? This is just general curiosity, please don’t take this question as me seeing myself as too good to take the opportunity to make a career of out flying for a regional.

Kyle,

You can contact any airline you like and ask how they view your situation. The first hurdle is getting the medical. If you can’t secure that there is no potential airline career. I imagine you will have to go through the HIMS program which is lengthy and expensive. If you end up with a medical, then start reaching out to a few airlines and see what they say.

Even though you’ve been clean for ten years, the way you describe your past needs some work. The language you use to explain your situation can make or break you in an interview room.

Hannah

1 Like

Hannah, would you care to elaborate on what I could do better when describing my past? Also, would you recommend that I reach out to HIMS before applying for my medical?

Sure… remember growing up when people would say, “no offense but…” well just because you said no offense doesn’t mean what they said to follow was any less offensive. That same analogy applies here. You make a statement deflecting all guilt with excuses then follow with, I made a bad decision. Well in the 10 seconds prior it doesn’t really sound like you acknowledged guilt at all. Does that make sense?

Instead just say, “back in 2011, I made an incredibly poor decision and used illegal drugs. I got caught and was discharged because of it. I deeply regret it and have stayed clean since.”

Hannah

1 Like

That makes a lot of sense. Thank you.

Kyle,

The regionals and majors often have very different hiring standards. I personally do not think you have any future career in aviation, as stated above. However, you should reach out to the airlines to verify.

Chris

1 Like

Not sure where you got that from my response? I said the medical would require some hoop jumping and if you described your transgressions like you do in your post you’d be a no vote from me.

As for getting to a Major there’s always the possibility but there’s also the chance you get a pilot on your panel who’s life was destroyed by drugs or alcohol and no matter what you say they’ll be a no.

Adam

1 Like

I misinterpreted the “your explaining reads as a lack of responsibility and that would be a BIG thumbs down from me.” line. I took it as there was nothing I could do change your mind, instead of meaning I need to reword it to show accountability for my actions. My apologies.

Thank you for the straight forward response, I really appreciate you not sugar coating it so I’m fully aware of what I’m getting myself in to and the likely uphill battle I face. Would you say that my discharge is the biggest obstacle or the substance use? Would appealing my discharge (another uphill battle) make a difference? The guy I was caught smoking the synthetic marijuana with received the same discharge as I did but he was able to successfully appeal it and get it upgraded to an honorable. I never pursued because I felt like I didn’t deserve it, frankly I still don’t think I do but if it will make a difference in this regard it is something I would look in to.

Kyle,

I am flying with a retired Navy Captain and asked him about your discharge. He explained that it was not as big of a deal as I perceived it to be. In his words, “the Army did not want to deal with him and wanted him to be gone, but did not feel like going through the hassle of an other than honorable discharge, so they went this route. He will need to explain it, but it is not the end of the world.” So better than I thought, but also goes to the point that without researching this, most civilians will not know.

With that in mind, I think your biggest obstacle is the past substance abuse. The airlines take a very dim view of this, but in recent years they have learned to offer second chances.

I feel like you want a concrete answer to your career prospects and I understand that desire. We simply cannot provide you with a concrete answer, there are just so many variables in this industry. What I can tell you is that no matter what, your path will be more difficult than most.

Chris

1 Like

Chris, thank you for taking the time to ask your co-pilot and relay his response. I really do appreciate you sharing this information with me. I know that this by no means is a guarantee to be able to pursue a career in aviation but I do feel much more confident than I did yesterday. Again, thank you.

Hey Kyle,

I agree that your presentation of your past decisions will need some practice and work to have it come off as 100% owning your choices, what you learned from them, and how you’ve become better in the process.

I’m not in agreement that any options are mute for you, unless like Adam said, you can’t hold a First Class Medical; you just have a larger hill to climb than most who didn’t make the same choices.

Making the majors may be a tougher battle as the competition is fierce for that work and the standards are high (it’s the Major Leagues for a reason — lots of lives, brand reputation, and money at stake for the companies you fly for).

But the Majors aren’t the only dance partner. There are tons of rewarding aviation careers that won’t be as scrutinizing as the airlines — but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t do the work to make yourself more marketable and trust worthy.

Best steps are to get some career coaching. Raven Careers will do one hour consulting, Cage Marshall Consulting is also another good option.

Schedule time with them to outline your hurdles. They’ll have a great insight on what will be the paths of least friction to the airlines and can help coach you (for a fee) on how to improve your communication, sincerity, accountability, etc. and shape you into a candidate that a company will trust.

Great job being brave to be vulnerable, to not shy away from the feedback you’ve received, and for being 10-years clean.

To your success and growth,
Tigre