Arrested before as a Teen

Hello Everyone I am going to ask a question that I am sure has been asked a million times yet I want to be forthcoming and see where the responses lead me. Put simply at I was arrested twice in my life once at 18, the other at 20. (at the time of me writing this I am going on 22 and will be 23 when I apply for commercial jobs.) Put simply my first arrest was for a Misdemeanor A theft charge (long story short I disobeyed my manager and took tips and money customers gave that was over even though we didn’t allow tips) the nature of the it wasn’t was it seemed means little as end of the day I was charged and even with an expunge this is a federal job so it would be best to admit so. The only other time I got arrested was once for alcohol/ marijuana possession as a young dumb teen and this is the one I want to address. I have obviously since not smoked as I wasn’t even a smoker really. Also the alcohol in question was my 24 year old brother although that is irrelevant. As that was the early college years and I went through the processes for the tickets to be cleared. I am hoping that with my persona and honesty, otherwise clean record, and the handling of my cases (sealing and expunge) would still allow me a job in flight school.

I forgot to mention in regards to the theft charge I was dismissed and given a later dismissing me of all charges and had the arrest expunged and the second arrest is sealed as well. Obviously even with the legal right to to say no to any questions of arrests from my employer in regards to these cases I would still want to admit this to my employer as the FAA most likely might be able to see it even if the states say I was dismissed. Im hoping that with my handling and my honesty in regards to the situation I might still have an opportunity to put my foot in the door what is your take?

Mohamed,

As you said questions like this get asked often and there really are no simple answers. The second charge is substance related and the FAA asks specifically “have you EVER been arrested of a drug or alcohol related offense”. The answer is YES you have and that’s going to mean some hoop jumping before you’ll ever see an FAA medical. The same questions get asked by the airlines. If you remain clean for some time you may have a shot eventually but you’ve had 2 arrests and it hasn’t been that much time so that might be an issue.

As for you belief that your “persona and honesty” will help you I have to be honest. All I heard in your description of both events is how it wasn’t really your fault, it was your brother’s alcohol, wasn’t even a smoker, etc. None of which implies any remorse or acceptance of responsibility. I’ve participated in hiring at 2 airlines and in my experience the only thing we like less than arrests is a person trying to explain why it really wasn’t their fault. If you told the story above you’d be done.

Adam

Mohamed,

I think these are going to be significant impediments for you to cross. I recommend looking at the FAQ section as this is addressed in depth there

Your first step would be to apply for an FAA medical and to see if they will even issue you one, you could also contact the recruiting departments of several regional airlines and ask them directly.

Just an FYI, most airline pilots can’t say “the only other time I got arrested was…”

Chris

Thank you Adam that back story to the situations was more for you to understand the scenario and eliminate any ideas of substance abuse as that’s definitely not me. That is why I stated the reasoning as irrelevant and “means little as end of the day I was charged and even with an expunge this is a federal job so it would be best to admit.” When it comes down to arrests are arrests and in an interview I wouldn’t be giving reasons or excuses but only explanations and reassurance that isn’t me and it is all in the past as I said.

Also Chris I understand the irony behind the only other time and in hindsight it is almost humorous. We will see if the FAA allows me to get a medical certificate and I have already seen the questions where they asked if you’ve been arrested or convicted for driving under influence or while intoxicated, having your license suspended, arrests/ conviction that are alcohol/ drug related, and the most important one failed a drug test or substance abuse in the past two years. Thank fully I am able to answer no to all those questions except a drug arrest and wouldn’t have to get into the specifics of the first dismissed theft charge as it’s not in the question. Hopefully the FAA allows me to pass as it a large theme within my application but my main concern is with actual airlines. That is where you answered my question when you stated I should begin asking regional airlines and seeing their response as if I able to get into regionals then eventually and hopefully I can work my way up the ladder when im older and experienced?

Question 18W: History of nontraffic convictions. The applicant must report any other (nontraffic)
convictions (e.g., assault, battery, public intoxication, robbery, etc.). The applicant
must name the charge for which convicted and the date of the conviction(s), and copies
of court documents (if available). (See Item 47, page 115).

Just saying.

Adam

Mohamed,

There is nothing humorous about this. The fact that you stated that shows me that the reality of your situation. is not sinking in with you. Answering yes to a drug arrest is also a major thing that many airlines will completely disregard your application over. It could also make you criminally inadmissible to Canada, something else you need to look into.

Chris

2 arrests and 1 conviction in last 5yrs does not look good.

I have a much more detailed post on this topic about Canada and what each Regional airline said “pre-COVID”. It will definitely be stricter now.

As I say with most, get AOPA premium and talk to their lawyer (free consultation). Entry to Canada wil require them or Canada lawyer to judge if you can enter or need a TRP.

Shot from the hip would say 5yrs before an airline will look past your app and take an interview. A light twin 135 might take you or something similar. No judgement, just my take.

Chris