Private pilot certificate through ATP or through a local regional airport?

Hi all,

I am currently working on getting my private pilot certificate through a small regional airport close to home. I only have a measly 8 hours under my belt. I like the airport and my CFI but do feel like I’m moving at a snails pace ( I live in Indiana so the weather isn’t helping). I feel a little on my own and not a great deal of structure or direction. This not being of any fault of the school/CFI; I think this is just part of going to a part 61.

After researching ATP it sounds like you need 78+ flying hours to enter ATP with your private pilot. Does anyone have an experience with completing your private pilot at a regional but determined it may have been a better option to just have started at ATP without your private?

My understanding is the FAA minimum is 40hours to obtain your private but to get into ATP with my private pilot I would have to double those hours which means doubling the cost; so roughly going from $20,000 to $40,000. Whereas if I start out at ATP I would be paying a difference of around $20,000.

I’m have researched and feel like I’m mostly aware of the time, effort, dedication, and cost that goes into this carer path and I understand ultimately I need to do what best for me. If anyone who has completed the ATP schooling has any advice, regrets, thoughts towards getting your private pilot certificate prior to ATP or obtaining it at the start of the program please let me know

Thank you
Renee

Renee,

First let’s check your math. If 78hrs is going to cost you $40k that means you’re paying $500hr which is way too much. That said many people experience the frustration of trying to earn their PPL locally. The fact is training part-time is inefficient and often VERY expensive. In fact the only time I recommend it is if you’re not 100% certain you want to fly and aren’t ready to commit. If you are you’re far better off diving in and starting with ATP from the start.

Adam

Thanks for your response Adam and I agree in terms of the inefficiency and frustration.

Doh! Yes let me check my math as I was calculating off the cost of 2hrs which is what I usually fly. $11,000-$20,000 is much more reasonable than $20-$40,000. I was panicking there for a min.

Thanks again
Renee

Renee,

At only 8 hours, why don’t you cut your losses and pivot to ATP. Chalk it up to an expanded discovery flight phase and apply to ATP for the zero time program. If you can get in without it, meaning you meet all the other program prerequisites, then I’d recommend doing that.

The only reason we recommend getting your PPL prior to ATP is if you’re feeling out the whole flying thing and not quite sure if you want to go all in yet and pursue it as a career. No shame in that either…

Hannah

Renee,

I am with Hannah here, cut your losses and swing by ATP to complete the enrollment process, and get it done, properly. I obtained my PPL outside of ATP and there were some major challenges I had to overcome, similar to what you’re experiencing. Your 8 hours of experience can be beneficial starting at ATP as you have some of the fundamental background knowledge that many do not have Day 1.

As Adam said, your math is a little crooked, I would see that your PPL at 40 hours would be anywhere from $10,000-12,000, given what you’re flying. If you’re flying a brand new SR22, that will cost $500 per hour, wet, which will impose the higher cost of total training.

Why not give Admissions a call and start the enrollment process at ATP, take the leap of faith, you’ve already found the love of flying.

Brady

Hey Renee, Admissions here!

I completely understand your frustration, ultimately making a switch can be a bit scary.
Feel free to give us a call at your convenience so that we may better assist you, and answer all possible questions you might have. We would go over prerequisites, commitments, and responsibilities.
ATP Admissions is available M-F 8am-7pm EST and our phone number is 904-595-7950.

Thank you everyone for your advice. It’s greatly appreciated. I have spoken to an admission advisor and been in contact via email.

Thanks again
Renee