Private pilot finish up for get PPL first?

Hey there,

I currently have 45 flight hours in a C172 and have 2 solo flights completed in the traffic pattern so far. Unfortunately I had to pause my training right before starting my XC part of training due to running out of funding. A year later I now have the funding to complete all of my training up to commercial and CFI/CFII.

The quick pace and benefits of ATP have me really wanting to attend but in my current situation I am being told I will have to start from scratch in the program which means I’ll have to pay 20k more than if I joined the program with my PPL.

I value the opinions of the pilot mentors on this forum and wanted to ask if you think it makes more sense to just finish up my PPL at a local FBO and then plan on starting ATP when I get to the 80 hour mark required or if it’ll be worth it to bite the bullet and start the program from scratch for the higher price tag?

Aloha,
Daniel

Good evening, Daniel.

Welcome!

For you being so close to potentially being done with your PPL, I think that you should finish your PPL and then acquire any extra flight time needed towards your 78+ hours to meet the Credit for Private criteria.

I say this because, if you fully dedicate yourself to completing your PPL first, you could finish quicker than starting from zero at ATP.

That said, if it’s been so long since you’ve flown and you think you’ll need a lot of extra training and if you know that ATP is ultimately where you want to train then perhaps starting from zero again may be the wiser decision.

It’s just hard for me to say since I don’t know where you are at, but you do. So, give yourself an honest assessment and go from there.

Tory

1 Like

Daniel,

That’s a tough one but with 45hrs under your belt, IF you can commit to training consistently, another 40 should be plenty to get back on track and finish up.

The biggest thing is you don’t want to find yourself still working on your PPL a year from now. Set a goal for completion and stick with it.

Adam

1 Like

Daniel,

I am going to disagree with my comrades here. I am a bit surprised that you only have two solo flights under your belt. Most people that go through a traditional flight school solo around the 15 hour mark, so I would expect you to have far more solo experience. That, coupled with the fact that you have had a year off, causes me to recommend starting over and doing the whole program through ATP. I understand money being a concern, it is for everybody, but quality and efficiency are also concerns. Please keep in mind that $20k is not really the cost difference. The difference is $20k, minus whatever it will take you to obtain your PPL at another school, also making sure that you have 78 hours when you are finished.

Chris

2 Likes

Thank you all for your prompt responses and advice!

Chris: The reason for me soloing so late was my flight instructor has kids and so the pandemic taking them out of school caused many delays which resulted in many review flights after those gaps in training. I also feel as though my flight instructor was somewhat newer so he was a bit overcautious about me finally flying alone. I wish I had caught onto it sooner and switched CFIs it would’ve saved me a few pennies in hindsight. I do agree I would get a lot from the program starting from zero but I’m also worried about wasting money knowing I could probably get it done for half the cost at a local FBO still flying 3 to 4 times a week.

Tory & Adam: It is definitely a difficult choice. I have been keeping up with studying and practicing on my home simulator somewhat often including using live simulated air traffic control to keep the lingo fresh. I’m going to see if I can find the right CFI who is aligned with my goals to get things done quick so I can jump right into ATP‘s program sooner than later.

I appreciate all your help with judging my current situation it’s a crappy one to be in but I’m just happy to get back into it!

Aloha,
Daniel Mendez

Daniel,

I would argue that this is exactly why you should avoid the local flight school. This was not just the CFI’s fault, it was the school they were working for’s fault as well. I would say that you wasted a lot more than a few pennies, probably more like thousands of dollars.

If you can find a good CFI locally, then that is great, but you need to make sure that they really are top notch.

Chris

Chris,

I see your point and I agree that my training was definitely dragged out by both the FBO and the flight school making things much more expensive for me to obtain my PPL. I’m currently in the process of moving and will be living very close to the ATP facility at DuPage airport in IL. I will be paying them a visit when I arrive so I can make a more clear decision. Thanks again for helping me sort through this.

Aloha,
Daniel

Adam,

Off the subject but while I got you here I wanted to ask what Hawaiian airlines looks for in new hire pilots. I know what it says on their website but I was hoping as someone who is currently with them that maybe you could give me a general idea of where I should be at when I finally can apply for a position with them.

I am born and raised on the Big Island and I hope to one day return back home for the long run. Hawaiian airlines has always been a huge part of my life growing up to go visit my family on Oahu. Definitely a huge reason for my interest in becoming a pilot at a young age. Any advice helps!

Aloha,
Daniel

Aloha Daniel,

The fact that you’re Hawaiian by birth is huge. Hawaiian loves people with ties to the island. It’s not an ethnic thing, it’s really more the fact that many people love the idea of living in Hawaii, but not all do after being here for a few years. It’s different from the mainland and not everyone adapts well to it. Having come from here and having family obviously makes the transition easier.

Beyond that Hawaiian wants what all Major airlines want, experienced, well trained pilots. They definitely want to see some mainland Regional experience and internal recommendations are very valuable. Once you build your time and meet the mins you should apply. Word is we’ll be doing a good amount of hiring in the next few years.

Adam

1 Like

Daniel,
I think it just takes some crunching of the numbers. You need to complete 33 hours to reach the 78 minimum to start credit private. That should be enough to refresh your skills and finish up your private. Not sure how much you’re paying now for flight hours but I’d be more concerned about the pace. If it takes another 6 months to finish that up, you’re losing valuable time. ATP does offer a private pilot finish up and time build. Looks like it’s 24 hours but maybe you can get a custom quote. It may be more expensive but you would have the benefits of getting in to the ATP program right away, building back skills to atp standard and on a more direct timeline.

Private Pilot Finish-Up & Time Build / ATP Flight School.

-Hannah

1 Like