Propeller PIC time or Jet SIC time for airlines

I am an US citizen who flew mostly in Asia before, and want to continue my aviation career in the US after the pandemic.
I had flown Airbus before covid, and accumulated about 1300 hours in jet time.
With the hours from PPL/IR/CPL, I have TT of 1500 hours and acquired my ATP and FAA A320 rating in 2020.
My career goal is to join the major airlines, however, I haven’t had much luck with my recent applications to the regionals, one reason could be because I’m not in the states now for availability, or maybe the HRs are reluctant to call someone on the other side of the earth who haven’t flown for over 3 years.
This week, I just received two offers from Part 135 companies, which was never an option for me during my time in Asia.
One is a direct entry captain position for island hopping in the Northern Mariana islands with twin piston engines aircraft. Will fly around 800 hours a year.
The other one is an SIC position for G200 in west coast, flies about 400 hours a year.
The salaries are very different, 70K for the propeller one, and 110K for the jet one.
However, after taxes and living expenses, I put about the same amount in my pocket at the end of the day.
I was so certain to go to Saipan, until the other option came up.
On one hand, I am thrilled to be upgraded to captain and start accumulating my PIC hours, even though I will fly 12 legs a day, at 10000ft between the islands.
On the other hand, I think more time in jet can make myself more appealing to the regionals.
I understand that my aviation experience is quite unorthodox, and I hope I’d made a clear description of my current situation.
Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Daniel,

I’ve got to me honest. I can’t for the life of me understand why you’re having trouble getting picked up by a Regional in the US? If you’ve got 1500hrs and a clean record they’ll hire a mannequin so there’s something else going on.

As for the other opportunities that’s totally your call but if you’re goal is to fly for a US Major you need to figure out why the US Regionals aren’t taking you and remedy that as that’s your best option.

Adam

Daniel,

With your experience, the regionals should be in reach. I imagine they have issue with your lack of currency and not currently residing in the states.

If I were you, I’d call the regionals pilot recruiters and see how they recommend you get current. Typically they look for a minimum of 100-200 hrs in the last 12 months. If so, I’d find the quickest and cheapest way to get that done.

Those other jobs would take you now and would help with your currency issue but would delay you getting a seniority number at the regionals and getting down the path your looking for.

Hannah

Thank you Adam and Hannah for the replies.
I have a clean record on criminal/accident/incident/drug, and I actually had a 2-stages interview with Commutair, which didn’t end the way I hoped it would.
I memorized all the call outs, but I was quite rusty in the technical and regulations.
After that, I tried to resend my applications on Airlinesapps, but haven’t had much going on lately.
However, totally different story in Part 135, and I just finished a potentially 1-stage interview for Hawker 850XP, and the offer letter is looking very promising.
This confuses me even more so, because I also thought I would be over qualified (please excuse my exaggeration) for regionals, yet it is Part 135 that’s been reaching out to me.

Does it make any sense if I stay in a Part 135 for 2 years, get upgraded, then apply for the regionals?
Do regionals care much about PIC time?

One last question, is it true that pilots can fly Part 135 up to 75 years old ( or as long as they can maintain 1st class medical), while the mandatory retiring age of Part 121 is 65 years old?

Thank you

Daniel,

Are you interested in applying to any other regionals besides Commutair? If so, any one of them should be showing interest with someone with your experience.

No offense, but flying in the states is a bit different than other parts of the world. While you may look overqualified on paper, the fact that you did not receive an offer from Commutair for being “rusty” says it all. I would absolutely spend some time in the books, especially instrument knowledge, and keep trying to get on at a regional.

No, the regionals do not require PIC time.

I do not believe that there is an age limit for part 135 operations.

I think you need to assess your goals to help you decide with path to take. If the airlines are your goal then you should prepare yourself for that. I am sure that you can find interview prep services to help you.

Unless you really want to fly 135, I would hang onto your offers as a backup. If you’d see yourself happy flying 135 then that’s up to you to decide.

Tory

Daniel,

With all due respect, you say you feel like you’re over qualified for the Regionals (I suspect that comes from your A320 type), yet you fumbled an interview due to your lack of knowledge?

The Regionals care nothing about type ratings or PIC time. What they do want are pilots who are well trained and more important have the skills and knowledge to back up their resume.

Sounds like you need to hit the books rather than looking for more shortcuts.

Adam

Dear Adam and Tory,

Thank you both for the input.
The over qualified part was an assumption I made because I thought that it is more common to have the regionals to provide the pilots their ATPL. Since I already done it, I thought it’d give them some sort of an incentive to be more interested in me.

This is definitely a reality check for me, and I agree with what both of you just said.
I am not familiar with the aviation culture in the states, and I thought that flying as Part 135 is an alternative way to reach the major airlines, instead of the more common way.
By this I mean the path my instructors took, CFI-CFII-Regional-Major.
Therefore, I didn’t think of it as a shortcut at all, but I’m starting to.
Although one may jump back and forth between 121 and 135, but I don’t suppose one would do so, for seniority and maybe just bad practice.
So it really boils down to life style and also qualifications.
Based on my experience, can I assume that it is easier to be hired in Part 135 than it is for Part 121?
If so, with all due respect, other than the life style and all, are Part 135 pilots viewed as inferior to Part 121 pilots?
In the long run, they do get paid less, correct?

Either way, picking up the books and start studying is definitely the way to go.

Daniel,

I would in no way say that part 135 pilots are viewed as inferior pilots, it is simply a different part of aviation. It does seem like most major airline pilots come from the regionals, which makes sense when you think about it as regional pilots are already airline pilots, they just need to learn a new type of airplane.

I would say that generally speaking, part 135 pilots do get paid less in the long run.

Chris

Daniel,

It depends on which part 135 carrier you’re applying for. Some have horrible work rules and struggles to find pilots who will put up with it, thus easier to get hired. Other operators are highly competitive with great jobs. It just depends on what it is.

Regardless, what is your goal? Do you want to be an airline pilot flying part 121 or do you want to fly part 135? That should guide your decision. If it’s 121, focus on getting current and proficient in your ground knowledge and get a second shot at an interview.

Hannah

Hey Daniel. I noticed your post about the Northern Marianas Island gig. I worked for Star Marianas Air, so I’m certain that’s who you’re talking about. If you want any info on the company let me know, been there done that. It could be a good temporary platform to get you back in the airplane and then spread your wings to a regional.

-Derek