Pros and cons of starting with PPL VS. Zero Time

What are the pros and cons of starting with a ppl vs with zero experience?

Would I save a ton of money this way?

Would it be less stressful?

advice needed.

Not sure if I should just get my ppl first, or go the whole program at it with zero time.

Hopeful,

There’s only one reason for getting your PPL elsewhere and that’s if you’re not sure if aviation is really what you want to do or question your abilities. Otherwise why wouldn’t you want to do all your training at the school you’ve chosen to do the bulk of your training?

You will not save any significant money in fact many people end up paying more. Less stress? Perhaps but what’s the point of taking your time (which will cost you more money) so you can feel warm and fuzzy if your ultimate goal is to fly for an airline? Wouldn’t you rather start off day one learning in an environment that was designed by airline pilots to prepare you to the airlines?

Your call but again if you’re sure you want to be a pilot and you’re sure ATP is the best route than you probably should get your foundation which is arguably the most important part of your training with that same school.

Adam

1 Like

hello all,
For me i am goig to get my ppl befor i got to ATP, reason I still need a good income to pay my bills, and the schools seem to be several states away so commuting by car is out, if i purchase my own plane…fly in in the morning and leave in the evening maybe, but depends on the schedule.

Can anyone tell me how the schedule is done, anything like college, 0900, 1030, 1400, 1600, 1700 class times…need some input

Buying a plane to commute to and from flight training? Horrible idea. This isn’t college. There is no set schedule. You need to be ready at a minutes notice. Not to mention you would really be banking on having perfect weather every single day in order for you to commute via plane.

This link breaks down typical training days by each phase of the program. Airline Career Pilot Program Flight Training Timeline / ATP Flight School

Tory

yes,
thanks for the input,
i am going to get my ppl here locally, will take me some time to get this done, but thats ok…
looking to eventually make it to regionals but that will be it. im 50 now as by the time i get my hours ill be 54-55, which dont leave me much time for the regional, but im going to give it a go. got my first flight coming up on friday of next week. It will be a long ride but im in.

Lloyd,

Your call but I’d give this some thought. I don’t know what your current income is but if you put some urgency into to you could get to an airline much faster (52 if you start now) which would give you an extra 2-3 yrs on the back end making pretty good money and doing something you enjoy.

Just saying.

Adam

i agree, having issues with wife buying in on this new adventure, we have an autistic grandson that we are taking care of, and having issues with school and stuff, wife stating " if im gone all the time who is going to help her out…so i have to deal with this. which is slowing down my process.